Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Navy FTS

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Navy FTS

Advertisements
    Okay, so. Just another thing that we're looking at in case DH doesn't get picked up for PTS. Full Time Support.

Has anyone here done it? Have you known anyone who has? What's the difference day-to-day between this and active duty? What's the timeline like relative to promotions? Same as active duty? Slower? Faster? Can you homestead? Is retirement any different? How about benefits? GI Bill and Tuition Assistance? Basically, what are the differences between Active Duty, FTS, and the normal Active Reserves?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Bump!
    ​​​

3. Senior Member
    I have known a few people to do FTS in the Navy Reserves and 1 in the Army. I have never fully understood it but to the best of my knowledge they receive the same pay and compensation as active duty members do. They are there to staff and train the reserve components. I knew one that he and his family lived in housing and just moved to the east. But most of the ones I have known have not moved all that often. As far as promotions I believe the promotions are the same just tests, boards, and results come out a few weeks after the Active Duty components for reserves, and I believe that FTS members would be in the reserve promotion timeline vs the active duty but I am not sure.

Just a few links I can find online (you have probably looked at them already)
    Roles & Responsibilities : About the Reserve: NavyReserve.com
    FTS Enlisted

If I can find anything else out I will let you know.
    ~ Sara ~
  4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    FTS receive all the same pay and benefits as active duty but they are under the reserves (duty, support, etc). Their promotion list comes out when the reserves promotion list comes out. DH says that some rates promote faster than their active counterparts.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries

I wonder if DH was ever told about FTS bc his pts was denied last year so he just went reserves even though he wanted to stay AD and was even willing to change rates.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thank you, all! I appreciate it DH will be asking around to try and learn what he can too.
    ​​​

7. Senior Member
    FTS is primary shore based that support the Navy Reserves stateside. Like Solstice mentioned, they get active duty pay and benefits and still compete for Advancement, usually good numbers. If the opportunity is there it's a good option for any Sailor looking at continuing their Naval service.