Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much longer?

1. Senior Member

How much longer?

Advertisements
    How much longer does your SO have in the service? Are you ready for them to get out or are you gonna miss the military lifestyle? Also what is your plan for when you are no longer apart of the military lifestyle?

**My husband will be out of the Army in June of 2014. I feel like there will be parts of the military lifestyle that I will miss and other things that I won't. We have plans of moving to CO after DH gets out. We don't have any family there but love the area. Plus they have openings in the field DH wants to get in, and after I get my Medical Assisting Certification I can find work anywhere. For a while I always thought we would be moving to Cali because DH's family is there and he use to want to get a job in the oil fields but now he has changed his mind. We both want to buy a house with land to have horses, and a small farm.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DH just got out this September.

I would say we were both ready for him to get out, although he had been planning on going career so his decision not to enlist was a big adjustment for us. There was a lot of very scary talk about the unemployment rate among veterans and so forth, so I was nervous.

Basically our plan is to keep on keeping on. DH was job hunting before he even got back from deployment ... he had a job lined up before he even took terminal leave. He is a big planner and he had a lot of time to spend on making sure we would be as prepared as possible for the adjustment. We're staying by Ft. Hood right now since we both have jobs here, paying down some debt, etc. In the future we might move to be closer to one of our families though! So far the transition has been pretty painless, and we're really enjoying the civilian life.
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Till June

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    DF still has about 3 and a half years He's just now moving to his first duty station this week. I'm already ready for him to get out. Our plan (I think, unless things change) is to move back to Texas for him to go to school and probably live here.
    Banned
    He is career, so he is a little less than half way there. To be honest, both of us will be sad when he leaves the Navy, because we both really enjoy this lifestyle, so much so, that more than likely he will continue to work for the navy as a civilian counterpart/contractor, which I'm perfectly happy with.
    <3
    DH gets out in about 7 months or so we are so ready to be out!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    DH just got out this September.

I would say we were both ready for him to get out, although he had been planning on going career so his decision not to enlist was a big adjustment for us. There was a lot of very scary talk about the unemployment rate among veterans and so forth, so I was nervous.

Basically our plan is to keep on keeping on. DH was job hunting before he even got back from deployment ... he had a job lined up before he even took terminal leave. He is a big planner and he had a lot of time to spend on making sure we would be as prepared as possible for the adjustment. We're staying by Ft. Hood right now since we both have jobs here, paying down some debt, etc. In the future we might move to be closer to one of our families though! So far the transition has been pretty painless, and we're really enjoying the civilian life.
    Where are your families located? I think that is wonderful that you two had everything planned out before he left. I am trying to encourage DH to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    DF still has about 3 and a half years He's just now moving to his first duty station this week. I'm already ready for him to get out. Our plan (I think, unless things change) is to move back to Texas for him to go to school and probably live here.
    I completely understand. DH would already be out if he didnt re-enlist. He is struggling to because a lot of his buddies that signed up around the same time as him are getting out in a few months. He is in a non-deployable unit right so he isn't enjoying it at all. He says its quite boring. I am kind of glad they are out in the field right now because that is what he enjoys about being in the military. He really hates that isn't in a ranger battalion anymore. He got injuried during his third deployment and had to transition to be an infantryman.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchored2aSailor View Post
    He is career, so he is a little less than half way there. To be honest, both of us will be sad when he leaves the Navy, because we both really enjoy this lifestyle, so much so, that more than likely he will continue to work for the navy as a civilian counterpart/contractor, which I'm perfectly happy with.
    I think DH will be said to leave the military as well. But I know at the same time he feels that it is time to get out. Since he can't deploy anymore so he feels like he isn't able to do his job. It has been apart of his life for so long that it will be quite the adjustment for him.
  8. Senior Member
    At least 6 yrs.
  9. Senior Member
    He was supposed to be out this summer. Now, fall '14... If he actually gets out this time. Well see. His plan was to get out the first time but as it got closer, he changed his mind. I was stuck on him being out soon after we got married, but now, I'm going with the flow and I will be fine if he stays in again or chooses to get out. I'm not making any solids plans though, not until we are sure what hell do.

10. Senior Member
    His current enlistment is up in 2017. That would take him to his 17 year point. He will stay in until atleast 20 years and then we're moving back to Texas where he will (as the plan right now) work at a nuclear power plant. We're both ready for his 20 years to be up so we can get back home near family.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast