Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Guard to AD question......

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Guard to AD question......

Advertisements
    DD's boyfriend is determined to enlist in November (he and a friend are going buddy - so they are having to wait for the buddy's birthday). He is planning to go National Guard "for now" and then go regular ARMY. They'll be doing the summer between junior and senior year basic training thing. My biggest concern is that I know when DH was a recruiter there were often some unexpected delays/complications for those wanting to go from reserve/guard service to AD service. However, DH was USMC and I am not sure if it might be different/easier on the ARMY side??? If anyone has any experience and/or insight I'd love to hear it. They are both great kids and I'd hate for them to get taken for a ride in the interest of someone getting a contract (I know, I know - not all recruiters are like that - DH never was - but our time on recruiting has taught me to question things even more than before when I hear some of the things some recruiters have told kids/their families).
  2. Senior Member
    Very difficult to switch. If he wants to go active, go active. It can be extremely difficult to change over. My ex was reserves and couldn't switch active, even after 4 years because he still had 2 years on his contract and they needed him. I think it's a bad idea personally. It's definitely easier to go active to national guard than the other way around.

I know there's quite a few women on here who've talked of the same difficulties.
  3. Senior Member
    The army is cutting down big time on active duty numbers. It's not easy to switch, his best bet would be to try to go active off the bat.
  4. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    We were told this
    No officers below O5 right now
    Nothing above an E4
    Depends on your MOS

Hubs was told it would probably be easier for him to switch from Guard to Active because of his MOS.
    All he has to do it get his command here to let him out of the contract.
    We were told it is hard but do able.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGirl View Post
    We were told this
    No officers below O5 right now
    Nothing above an E4
    Depends on your MOS

Hubs was told it would probably be easier for him to switch from Guard to Active because of his MOS.
    All he has to do it get his command here to let him out of the contract.
    We were told it is hard but do able.
    This is... kind of correct... its not just his immediate command.. it has to go all the way up the chain.

We are currently in the process of going active from guard and its been about 4 months now since DH initiated the paperwork.

It has to go through the ENTIRE chain of command at the state level. So, unit, brigade, all that jazz. He had to turn in all of his gear for supply (which meant if he was missing anything, we paid out of pocket for it, and we paid.)

Its currently awaiting a 2 star General's signature for him to be released. He has to have a Colonel and a Lieutenant Colonel go talk to the general and "plead his case" about why DH is a good candidate for going Active.

Its been a PITA. But I'm patiently awaiting his release to active so we can get out of here.

6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Just as an update for you to know how our process went..

Dh was given a conditional release from the Guard to go active duty.

Then he had to be accepted by the big army. Right now they are only taking special forces at rank e-4 and below.

My DH was an e-5. So now he is going to try a different route and go from national guard to reserves and be a Drill Sargeant.

I HIGHLY suggest that if your DD's boyfriend wants to eventually be active, he should join the reserves and NOT the guard. It is much easier to roll from resreves to active, than guard to active.