Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question on promoting to E-7

1. Senior Member

Question on promoting to E-7

Advertisements
    So hubby is deployed and I have zero experience w/ how the Army promotes. He was in the national guard till a year and a half ago so all other promotions were with them. Anyway, he is submitting his packet for E-7.. and I know he is supposed to have a picture of him in his class A's, but since he is down range he can't. He said he just submits a waiver for that. So my question is what exactly are they looking for since they are just looking at the packet? Do you think not having a photo will hurt him? Do they even look inside if you don't have a photo? Just trying to figure out what the chances are he can get promoted. I think he'd have a good shot if he was here and had the full thing done like it should be, but then I don't know what they are looking for. Anyone been through this recently with a spouse?
    Trish & Hubby Home for R&R!! Dec. 2009
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I am not sure that his DA photo will make or break him promotion wise. If he is squared away then he should be good to go. The DA photo basically shows how they look, carry themselves, and put their uniform together. It just shows how they present themselves, beyond the paper. I wouldn't be too concerned about the photo.
  3. Senior Member
    okay. thanks cause a wife here had told me they look at the photo first and if you don't look the part they put you in the No pile without even looking inside. My DH is VERY squared away. 300 on all his PT tests, extra schools, correspondence courses.. ect. Just thinking gosh what if they don't even look inside? I hope this isn't the case. He never really offers me much either.. just says he'll be lucky if he gets it, but he is so humble it is hard to tell what he means by that. LOL
  4. there is no place like home
    there is no place like home

The fact of him not having the DA photo due to him in theater actually will not hurt him at all. That is the whole reason of the waiver and it is understandable when it comes to promotions and boards.

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by jreinke98 View Post
    The fact of him not having the DA photo due to him in theater actually will not hurt him at all. That is the whole reason of the waiver and it is understandable when it comes to promotions and boards.
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks girls. He just sprung it on me the other day and had me hunting down some form he needed and emailing it to him. He said he has to get it in now or he has to wait till next year.
  7. Junior Member
    I have to disagree a little with the others. Yes, he will get a waiver...but usually, as soon as an E6 is promotable, he/she should put a picture on file. I'm assuming he knew he would get looked at, so he "should" have taken a pic before he deployed and filed it.
    Now granted, he does sound very squared away otherwise, so hopefully they will give him a break. But it could make a difference, sorry to say.
    Good luck though!!!
  8. Senior Member
    Thanks! That is kinda what he said prior to leaving. He went back in from the NG to AD army last May of 08 and was at school till August.. then we moved, had a baby.. he did 2 other schools after that. Pre-deployment training.. ect. He mentioned it several times because he needed to update his Class A's so he just couldn't get them on and go do a pic. I wish he would have done it before leaving. Thanks for your input. : )
  9. Senior Member
    They made a big deal out of my husband having a current picture on file before he turned his package in. The criteria for each MOS is different though, it isnt Army wide what they look for. I know for my husbands old MOS that he got promoted in they wanted time spent in tactical and strategic units, high DLPT scores, and so much time rated as so and so. You can look on perscom to see the reports from previous years.
  10. Senior Member
    Thanks I didn't know what that was till I just googled it. I am looking now.