Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reservist to Active Duty

1. Senior Member

Reservist to Active Duty

Advertisements
    It is time for DH to re-up for the reserves and he is in Iraq right now so he says he will get his bonus in one lump sum now and it will all be tax-free. Now the problem is, he wanted to go AD late summer/early fall of 2010. Someone he is talking to at the retention office is telling him that if he is allowed to switch that he will be able to keep the full bonus money. Does anyone know anything about this? Personally I think it sounds like a bunch of BS.

GetSafeScents.com
    Now with even easier requirements to be a Scentsy Consultant!
    Thrifty Scentsy Tips | Join Scentsy| Jan is BBMB Month! | Grace Adele- 10% off this month!
    Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00 (those are zeros, not O's ) | PM me with your email for invite to new COACH Factory website!
  2. Member
    my dh is in the reserves and is going back ad in the states and there is no bonus..so im not for sure about the whole bonus overseas.
    If you do get it, Lucky You!!
  3. Glad for Jason to be home
    Glad for Jason to be home
    a
    Last edited by Redfairy200526; 01-05-2010 at 10:34 PM.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    in most cases the bonus will have to repaid- every I know has had to pay it back.

a talk to a recruiter should get you the right answer.
  5. Senior Member
    Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

His command would have to approve the release of him from his contract, and if they released him from his contract, he'd have to pay back his end of the deal.

I wonder if he knows that only his time he spent activated as a Reservist will transfer over to AD?
  6. Senior Member
    going from reservist to AD is a huge pain the ass. At least for us. We're going on month 22 of John trying to get back to AD. I don't know about any bonuses. I have to agree with the other ladies. Anything he gets as a reservist would have to be paid back once he became active unless it takes for freakin ever like it is for us.
  7. Senior Member
    I thought it sounded fishy. I told him to talk to a recruiter but he said that they don't have ones over there to do Res. to AD? And he has called a few locally but they all tell him different stuff. When he came home on R&R we were supposed to go talk to one then but he claims if he doesn't re-up now he won't get a bonus b/c they are going away.

Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

His command would have to approve the release of him from his contract, and if they released him from his contract, he'd have to pay back his end of the deal.

I wonder if he knows that only his time he spent activated as a Reservist will transfer over to AD?
    Yes he knows that, he has probably done at least 3-4 of his 6 yrs in the reserves "activated."

GetSafeScents.com
    Thrifty Scentsy Tips | Join Scentsy| Jan is BBMB Month! | Grace Adele- 10% off this month!
    Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00 (those are zeros, not O's ) | PM me with your email for invite to new COACH Factory website!
  8. Senior Member
    Does anyone know if they pro-rate it? For example: if he stays reservist 2 more years will they only make him pay part of it back?

GetSafeScents.com
  9. Senior Member
    Sorry I keep serial posting

EDITED TO ADD: He said that if he re-ups reserves for 6 yrs then switches he would still be held to that 6 yrs but for AD and he would not be eligible for a AD bonus. He says a "memo" was just released about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    going from reservist to AD is a huge pain the ass. At least for us. We're going on month 22 of John trying to get back to AD. I don't know about any bonuses. I have to agree with the other ladies. Anything he gets as a reservist would have to be paid back once he became active unless it takes for freakin ever like it is for us.
    What is holding you guys up?
    I heard it was a PITA, especially if you are e-5 and higher b/c then they have to find you a slot somewhere.

GetSafeScents.com
  10. Glad for Jason to be home
    Glad for Jason to be home
    B
    Last edited by Redfairy200526; 01-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast