Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SERE school

1. Senior Member

SERE school

Advertisements
    What do you know about it? I really do not know, and would like some more info.

Thanks!!!
    ~JANA~
  2. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviva...nce_and_Escape

I know jen1982's husband is there now.
  3. Senior Member
    Not yet Bjo, he doesn't start until the 12th, they have a week of prior training to finish first. Then, he will be starting SERE C.
  4. Rockin' a rock
    Rockin' a rock
    DF went to SERE at Ft. Rucker in June 2008. What would you like to know?

BTW, I'm at work and leaving here soon so I may not answer right away, but I will get back to you, I promise. You can PM me if you'd like.
  5. Senior Member
    Keep in mind there are many different levels of SERE school which cover a number of different jobs and assignments. Try to be specific when you're surfing the net and a lot of really good info will come up. I've done a ton of research in reference to SERE C and found that I had to make sure to include the level of SERE and branch of service involved that I was talking about to get the correct info.

Also, there are quite a few people who spread very incorrect information just because they heard it through the grapevine. If someone hasn't been to SERE, I've learned to disregard their info. Some of the things passed on to me were OBVIOUSLY exaggerated for one reason or another. It finally took me sitting down and talking with my husband's cadre who has been through the same training my husband is going through now, and he shared with us what he was allowed to and gave some really good info on the school and what to expect when they come home.
  6. Rockin' a rock
    Rockin' a rock
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    Keep in mind there are many different levels of SERE school which cover a number of different jobs and assignments. Try to be specific when you're surfing the net and a lot of really good info will come up. I've done a ton of research in reference to SERE C and found that I had to make sure to include the level of SERE and branch of service involved that I was talking about to get the correct info.

Also, there are quite a few people who spread very incorrect information just because they heard it through the grapevine. If someone hasn't been to SERE, I've learned to disregard their info. Some of the things passed on to me were OBVIOUSLY exaggerated for one reason or another. It finally took me sitting down and talking with my husband's cadre who has been through the same training my husband is going through now, and he shared with us what he was allowed to and gave some really good info on the school and what to expect when they come home.
    This is all very true. DF has gone to SERE twice, the first time through SERE B (I think it's B anyway), the one without the POW experience and this last time went through SERE C, with the POW experience. Lots of people will tell you lots of crazy things, don't believe everything you hear. I was once at a bar with a friend of mine who's NG and overheard him telling his buddies that there was "this school that the Army sends you to where you get captured and they torture you and shit. They'll like break your arms!"

I see your SO is Army; I'm sure they all differ somewhat but I'd be happy to tell you what my DF's experience was if you'd like. Just let me know.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    This is all very true. DF has gone to SERE twice, the first time through SERE B (I think it's B anyway), the one without the POW experience and this last time went through SERE C, with the POW experience. Lots of people will tell you lots of crazy things, don't believe everything you hear. I was once at a bar with a friend of mine who's NG and overheard him telling his buddies that there was "this school that the Army sends you to where you get captured and they torture you and shit. They'll like break your arms!"

I see your SO is Army; I'm sure they all differ somewhat but I'd be happy to tell you what my DF's experience was if you'd like. Just let me know.
    I may hit you up for some info in the coming weeks. It's always nice to have someone who's actually been there to give advice versus someone who is continually passing on incorrect information like the breaking of arms and major bones and other stuff like that. Believe me, I got a few emails telling me what to expect when he comes home, and when I told his cadre the guy laughed hysterically. He said not to believe the gossip of guys who hadn't been and probably will never go. I definitely appreciate having someone who has been there done that to pick for information.
  8. Senior Member
    DH got home from SERE at Rucker a few weeks ago. Feel free to PM me, and I'll help if I can.
  9. Rockin' a rock
    Rockin' a rock
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    I may hit you up for some info in the coming weeks. It's always nice to have someone who's actually been there to give advice versus someone who is continually passing on incorrect information like the breaking of arms and major bones and other stuff like that. Believe me, I got a few emails telling me what to expect when he comes home, and when I told his cadre the guy laughed hysterically. He said not to believe the gossip of guys who hadn't been and probably will never go. I definitely appreciate having someone who has been there done that to pick for information.
    Absolutely! I'd be happy to help.
  10. Senior Member
    Do keep in mind that there is necessarily a lot of secretivity around SERE. Those who go there aren't supposed to give a ton of details because part of what makes the training valuable is the element of surprised and the unknown, which is how it would be in a real POW situation.

I will tell you that DH came home filthy dirty (he just sat in the shower while I scrubbed and scrubbed the dirt off of him) and with some horrible bruises. He had some numbness in one of his toes that lasted for weeks, caused by the cold. He had lost over 10 pounds in the week and a half of training. And it took a few days for him to get back to his normal self.

He may be kind of hurt (bruised, etc.) but he will not be injured. Apparantly there are very strict rules about exactly what can be done. They have invested a lot of time and money training the guys who go to SERE so they want to protect that investment; breaking them wouldn't do anyone any good. Your SO will be fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast