Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Reclassing with a bonus

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Reclassing with a bonus

Advertisements
    When you re-enlist into a new MOS with a bonus is it like your initial enlistment that you don't get it until after you finish AIT?
  2. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    No that what happened with my husband. He got his reenlistment bonus for his reclass a month afterwards but didnt go to AIT until 9 month later. He was surprised!
  3. Senior Member
    Nope, my husband got his a few months later. He got a lump sum too, it wasnt spread out. I dont know if they do the installment thing anymore? But I was surprised they paid him the whole thing at once.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    That's fantastic because DH's re-enlistment window opens next month but he just left for Iraq so he most likely won't be going to AIT for a while.
  5. Senior Member
    If they are deployed and they get their bonus it is tax free too! That makes a huge difference. My husband got 40,000 and after taxes it was 28,000.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by jttigerbaby View Post
    If they are deployed and they get their bonus it is tax free too! That makes a huge difference. My husband got 40,000 and after taxes it was 28,000.
    I know but DH's bonus won't be anywhere near 40,000. It's not even near 28,000
  7. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    My husband was so happy about it being tax free, thats the other great thing about him reenlisting while deployed!
  8. Senior Member
    When DH re-enlisted into his new MOS, he didn't get his bonus until after AIT and language school. But that was 04-05, so maybe things have changed. Worked out well, though, because by the time he got it he was deployed and got it taxfree.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MATom View Post
    When DH re-enlisted into his new MOS, he didn't get his bonus until after AIT and language school. But that was 04-05, so maybe things have changed. Worked out well, though, because by the time he got it he was deployed and got it taxfree.
    DLI is completely different. They have a high drop out rate, so you have to complete it first. My husbands friend reenlisted to go back and take the 7 month advanced Farsi course, and they told him he wouldnt get his bonus untill completion.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jttigerbaby View Post
    DLI is completely different. They have a high drop out rate, so you have to complete it first. My husbands friend reenlisted to go back and take the 7 month advanced Farsi course, and they told him he wouldnt get his bonus untill completion.
    He wasn't at DLI... he was at SWCS. But it's probably the same. Makes sense... thanks for the info!