Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Navy Crossrate question

1. Senior Member
    Me - Bronx NY, WA DH: USS Abraham Lincoln

Navy Crossrate question

Advertisements
    So dh is a Yn in the navy and he wants to cross rate. I wanted to know if anyone's dh has done this and did they have to wait until they were in at least 2 years. If so was it 2 years from basic training, bt grad or a school grad?
    CHRISTOPHER JAYDEN born October 10, 2008 5lbs 7 oz
    & Yes he was early. 33 weeks and 5 days
    NICU Survivor
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboyd View Post
    So dh is a Yn in the navy and he wants to cross rate. I wanted to know if anyone's dh has done this and did they have to wait until they were in at least 2 years. If so was it 2 years from basic training, bt grad or a school grad?
    The two years starts from the date he graduates "A" School. What does he want to do? If he is on sea duty now why does he want to give up 5 years of shore duty? He may not like the job but 5 years of shore duty as a young Sailor can benefit you a great deal.
  3. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by NC@SEA View Post
    The two years starts from the date he graduates "A" School. What does he want to do? If he is on sea duty now why does he want to give up 5 years of shore duty? He may not like the job but 5 years of shore duty as a young Sailor can benefit you a great deal.
    not everyone comes out of A school and does 5 of Shore. DH was a YN and came right out of school and hit 4 sea on subs.

What is your hubby wanting to CR too?? DH CR from YN to EO.

never mind lol i read your post wrong. I thought i read that he was on 5 shore right out of school. YN in question should be on 5 sea right now and then will gain 4 shore, next rotation should be only 4 sea. I don't know why they had to lengthen the first sea. It's lame.
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  4. Senior Member
    Actually a YN only has a 36 month Sea Rotation on their first tour regardless of surface or subs. They then have a 5 year shore tour for surface yeoman. If they are lucky out of A school and get shore duty then they will go for 5 years and then follow up with a 3 year sea tour.

A sub yeoman regardless of rank is 36 sea and 36 shore for all tours for the rest of his career. The surface yeoman changes dependent on tour number.
  5. Senior Member

My dh changed rates but very different than from your situation. He was an MS (now CS) when we met and he got out a month after we got married and I stayed in, I was an AE. So when things changed I got out and dh went back. he couldn't go back in unless he changed his rate which he had no problem doing, he wanted to change so he became an ET and he was able to keep his rank of E4. We lived up in Chicago for a year while he was in A school and C school. Since dh was an E4 we got to live in staff housing, thank God, which was much nicer than the student housing.