Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So's As MM's

1. Senior Member

Help So's As MM's

Advertisements
    Last edited by NavyWife.Moody; 01-15-2010 at 02:14 PM.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Which rate of MM are you asking about? DH is a nuke MM.
  3. I love my life!
    I love my life!
    My DH is a Nuke mm also.. He is on a carrier. And right now his job sucks!! But we have herd that the boat he is on is the worst one you can get sent to.. I dont know how true that is becuase this is our first sea command. But every command is different.. They work all the time.. DH has duty every 4 days. So it works out that right now he has duty every weekend (either a friday,saturday or sunday)except once a month. They muster at 7 something in the morning and they get out at 4ish. He did schooling for 2 years right out of boot camp. They are always busy and always learning new things. There are always possibilities of advancing. Dont know if this answeres any of your questions or not, but hopefully it helps a little.
  4. Senior Member

Last edited by NavyWife.Moody; 01-15-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Mistype
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyWife.Moody View Post
    hmm well as far as I know he will just be a MM no other type of sub-rate. He is going to school for MM in november if he pass's the testing.

thanks for the info. Hubbs work hours right now are the same as you just said lady_girl, so im glad it won't be much of a "shift" for us to adjust too. The only difference is hubb's duty days is one a week and moves a day forward each week.
    They muster at the same time and everything.
    Hubbs right now is on a carrier he hates it because he is in deck dept.
    He would like to check out a small boy and see how they operate.

anyone else with any info please spill !
    I just have to ask why MM? Because it's open?
  6. Senior Member

Last edited by NavyWife.Moody; 01-15-2010 at 02:14 PM.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyWife.Moody View Post
    NC: Its open and they want him.
    I posted a thread before saying Hubbs was considering Seabee rate and A BU within it. Well he wasnt able to get BU afterall...Could go EO or MM. I sent him info on both and he's decided MM.

Is that not a good idea in your opinion?
    It's a good choice. I am just curious as to why. Is he designated or non designated at this time?
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I wouldn't do it. MM is a tough job. They work long hours, miss meals, and work in crappy conditions. They are the first ones on the ship and the last one to leave. They work in a hot, loud, dirty space with steam. In plain terms, they make the boat move, provide hot water to the ship (so don't piss them off lol), provide electricity, A/C, and work on boilers all the time. Underways are hard.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/mm.htm

If you'd like to know more, I can ask my husband. He's been one for 6 years.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    I wouldn't do it. MM is a tough job. They work long hours, miss meals, and work in crappy conditions. They are the first ones on the ship and the last one to leave. They work in a hot, loud, dirty space with steam. In plain terms, they make the boat move, provide hot water to the ship (so don't piss them off lol), provide electricity, A/C, and work on boilers all the time. Underways are hard.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/mm.htm

If you'd like to know more, I can ask my husband. He's been one for 6 years.
    That's good information but some people really like that type of working envoirnment. Does your DH like it?

For the OP: Your DH needs to find a job that he will enjoy and that can help him on the outside in case he separates. You also want to find a job that offers stability and will allow you to stay in to retire if that's his goal.
  10. I love my Chief selectee!
    I love my Chief selectee!
    My DH has been an MM for 14 years now. He's not here at the moment so I'll answer your questions as best I can.

Where and How Long Is The "A" School: I dont remember where it was located but I want to say it was like...2 months long maybe? I don't really remember. He went to A School in 1996. Long time ago. LOL

Are They Attached To The Most, Fleet, Land, Small Boys, Carriers, Subs: I don't know what's normal, but DH has only ever been on Carriers when he's not on Shore Duty. (USS Nimitz & USS Carl Vinson)

How Many Hours Do They Work (I heard 0600 to 2100):
    I'm sure it varies. When he first started out he was 0600 - 1600 (and sometimes til 1800 on long busy days). When he was dry docked it was more like 0600 - 1200.

Do They Work The Weekends (I heard Saturdays): DH didn't usually work Saturdays unless he was on duty.

Easy Progression Within The Rate (adding Different skills to the MM itself, Like MMN): Not sure about this one.

Is There Alot To Do As A MM (Never bored, new things to always learn, busy): ...or this one. I'm pretty sure he's never been bored though. ???
    ...and DH has never been on a sub so I can't answer the rest of your questions either.
    Overall I think DH is really happy with his rate. It's not the rate he originally chose but he's happy with it and has learned a lot of stuff that he's glad he's had the chance to learn.
    Hope the helps.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast