Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting Duty - What's it like?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    I know this was a sticky for information mostly, however since others are posting......I'm wondering. For recruiting with the Army, do you still PCS every 3 years or so? Any and all info would be appreciated since DH is being less than helpful as per his usual.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Pandora View Post
    I know this was a sticky for information mostly, however since others are posting......I'm wondering. For recruiting with the Army, do you still PCS every 3 years or so? Any and all info would be appreciated since DH is being less than helpful as per his usual.
    Recruiting duty is only 3 years, unless after he does a good portion of his initial recruiting "tour" he decides to reclass to a recruiter permanently. At that point yes, they still move every 3 years or so, sometimes more, sometimes less. However, at the moment, it is (at least in DHs Battalion, not sure about others) very hard to get them to let you reclass. They're also (according to DHs battallion) downsizing recruiting at the moment by I think 900 all together.
  3. MERP!
    MERP!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwprincss View Post
    Marine Corps recruiting school is seven weeks long. My DH just found out today that his by name request was successful and we are heading home to Houston, TX. He spoke to his SNOIC and was told their goal is two per month and it sounds like the area he has is HUGE. Is your husband volunteering or was he voluntold? With being a volunteer, you are given your district, but from there, it's up to the Sgt. Maj. basically. He will select three districts and within each district, you select two RS's. My husband contacted the Sgt. Maj. in Houston and spoke with him directly. After meeting with him, filling out some paperwork and submitting it, the Sgt. Maj. submitted a by-name request. This doesn't always work out, but in our case it did!

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. Where is home for y'all?
    PM sent!
    KCCO!

4. Senior Member
    I have heard both good and bad things about recruiting. Our best friend did it for a little while and he and his wife absolutely hated it. But I have heard others say they enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.
  5. Gone Hiking
    Gone Hiking
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    I know this comes up from time to time since recruiting duty tends to be either really great or really horrible for a lot of people. So, I thought we could keep a sticky in this forum just going over the basics of how recruiting duty was for you and your significant other.

Why did your significant other decide to do recruiting (career, location)? Did you feel that it was worth it, overall?
    Where did they recruit and for which branch?
    What aspects were good?
    What aspects were hard?
    My DH was told (voluntold) he was doing recruiting and while we survived, it was definately no picnic.
    He is Marine Corps and at first he was told he was going to be recruiting in Oregon (he's from there) then at last minute they switched him out with another guy who was going to Indiana.
    The beginning was VERY hard on him. He's no "salesman" and he literally wanted to risk everythign and quit. He didn't quit though, he never gave up, he gave his all, and the good thing was that he ended up being in charge of the other recruiters in the office. It was also the hard part having that responsibility. He had to rely on the other recruiters meeting their quota and even got two new guys who had to adjust themselves. It was pretty stressful on him.

For us as his familiy, it was also hard. Being away from anything military, no base, no base medical, it at times felt like we were being punished to be honest. The town he got was also not good with high percentage of registered sex offenders. So we had a hard time finding a place to live. We ended up in a tiny town and in a tiny apartment so we didn't go over BAH.

We were so HAPPY when it was over and can now say we are RD survivors.lol
  6. Senior Member
    I know this is an old thread but DH is leaning towards dropping a recruiting packet and has been told that things have improved dramatically in terms of hours, etc in the last year or so. Was wondering if anyone may have more insight to this. Thanks
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Dh is currently recruiting. He pretty much works 9-5 with some early starts or late evenings for meps runs, trainings,etc. He is however not in a place where there are a lot of events. One of the stations in his battalion used to work like all the time tho, because they were so busy and there weren't many of them. They just got some new leadership at company and battalion level tho, and now their hours are 9-5. There is technically a work hour policy that restricts the hours they are allowed to work but it depends on how much the particular battalion and company want to enforce them. Recruiting is also getting ready to go through some big changes with essentially combining stations to make much larger stations, so It will be interesting to see how that plays out. But I think more places then not do abide by the work hour policy (USAREC wide)and i think there will be more accountability for it now with more people being involved due to the new stations. DH said he thinks they may end up working a few more hours possibly, but no one, even the people that have been in recruiting forever feel like it will never go back to being anything bad like it was. DH is wanting to convert, so it can't be too bad.
  8. Regular Member
    My DH was DoA selected for recruiting duty. It's not something he put in for. He leaves for school at the end of next month and we're supposed to have our city choices selected before he leaves. Right now we're at Fort Hood, TX. How do you decide what cities to choose? We never planned on him being a recruiter and we've both lived on or next to military installations for most of our lives. I've been at Fort Hood for 16 years and he grew up at Camp Shelby before he joined the army and came here. We'd like to stay in the south and I know my husband would be successful if he went to the Camp Shelby area again. He's really well known there in their military community. But, I'm not sure if I could handle living near his family. They're really overbearing. Does anyone have good duty station recommendations? I'd hate to leave Texas, but obviously I want whatever's going to be best for this recruiting time. From what I understand, it's already not a walk in the park.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerWife19K View Post
    My DH was DoA selected for recruiting duty. It's not something he put in for. He leaves for school at the end of next month and we're supposed to have our city choices selected before he leaves. Right now we're at Fort Hood, TX. How do you decide what cities to choose? We never planned on him being a recruiter and we've both lived on or next to military installations for most of our lives. I've been at Fort Hood for 16 years and he grew up at Camp Shelby before he joined the army and came here. We'd like to stay in the south and I know my husband would be successful if he went to the Camp Shelby area again. He's really well known there in their military community. But, I'm not sure if I could handle living near his family. They're really overbearing. Does anyone have good duty station recommendations? I'd hate to leave Texas, but obviously I want whatever's going to be best for this recruiting time. From what I understand, it's already not a walk in the park.
    Unless theyve changed things, and forgot to update the main page, you don't pick cities, you pick battalions.

to see your options here is the assignment preference map Brigade Map

From what my husband has heard the best places to try to get are pretty much anywhere in the south, or 3rd brigade as far as having it the easiest in recruiting(being able to make mission easier, not necessarily more laid back leadership or anythign like that). You will not be guaranteed any of your choices tho. Also, again unless things have changed (hubby graduated the school 2 years ago) all the battalions listed on that map will not be available when they prioritize their preferences at teh schoolhouse.It will basically give you a list of X available battalions and you say you'd prefer batallion 1, then battalion 2, etc.

It's really not all the bad tho. DH works mostly 9-5 with a few exceptions here and there...and some stuff they do is just plain obnoxious, but it's no where near as bad as it was when most horror stories came out. The changes are only a few years old, so there are companys/battalions that will push the limits of the new policies, but for the most part it's gotten a lot better. Theres also a lot of changes with the way they run companies and stations so things might seem a bit weird at first depending on how well the battalion hes ended up in has transitioned into their changes. Dh's battalion is still trying to work out the kinks, but they seem to have started later in the game than a lot of others.
  10. Regular Member
    I'm not really sure. They told him cities, but I wouldn't be surprised if they told him wrong. You know how it goes. Information gets altered lol. 3rd brigade would be close to home for my husband. Most of his family is in Mississippi and Alabama. We actually want somewhere in the south. So, I'd be happy if that's how it ended up for us. So, they'll give us what's available and he'll get to put in a request from those options? Thanks for letting me know because that's not how it was explained to us. I've heard about the long hours, but he has that with his current unit. So if that happens in recruiting, it won't be much of a shock. Which battalion is your DH in?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast