Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: nurses corps

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

nurses corps

Advertisements
    so ive done my first year of college, not as a nursing major, but im planning on switching. and i was thinking about joining the naval nurses corps like through R.O.T.C if i could but really dont know much information about it all.
    i went to a recruiter the other day who only gave me a number to call because they dont do medical recruits, only enlisted.

im wondering if anyone else went through this program or knows somewho has and also about dual military families i dont know if im down for that. me and db are techinically broken up... but thats a long story. i dont know how long that will last so for those of you who are dual military has it been hard having a family??

TIA
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    What you can also do is speak to someone at the NROTC unit of the campus you're wanting to attend.

3. Senior Member
    I only know a little bit about it, because this is what my plan is too. You should speak to an officer recruiter since thats what you would be. My DF and I talked to a few recruiters and Navy nurses to see if it would be possible for us to be stationed together. We learned that we could not be under the same command however we could be stationed in the same state or farely close but this is not guaranteed. If you are trying to sign now I believe there is a time frame to obtain your BSN so make sure you check with your school to see how long it will take. Here in AZ it is very competitive and will take me longer than I thought to complete my BSN. But if you don't need to sign now, wait and see how things go and once you graduate you can sign and still get a signing bonus.

I'm sure you know but you do have to get your bachelors of science in nursing to join the nurse corps, not just an RN certification. NROtC was reccomened to me also to give me a boost to be selected for officer training school so maybe talk to those in charge of NROTC at your school. I hope some of this ramble helped you just a little lol. Feel free to PM me for more specific questions or anything else and GOOD LUCK!!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Brooklynn View Post
    I only know a little bit about it, because this is what my plan is too. You should speak to an officer recruiter since thats what you would be. My DF and I talked to a few recruiters and Navy nurses to see if it would be possible for us to be stationed together. We learned that we could not be under the same command however we could be stationed in the same state or farely close but this is not guaranteed. If you are trying to sign now I believe there is a time frame to obtain your BSN so make sure you check with your school to see how long it will take. Here in AZ it is very competitive and will take me longer than I thought to complete my BSN. But if you don't need to sign now, wait and see how things go and once you graduate you can sign and still get a signing bonus.

I'm sure you know but you do have to get your bachelors of science in nursing to join the nurse corps, not just an RN certification. NROtC was reccomened to me also to give me a boost to be selected for officer training school so maybe talk to those in charge of NROTC at your school. I hope some of this ramble helped you just a little lol. Feel free to PM me for more specific questions or anything else and GOOD LUCK!!

so as a married couple yall may not be stationed together??
  5. Senior Member
    I've also looked into this and am seriously considering joining the Navy, though probably not in the nurse corp now. Look up your closest officer recruiting office on Navy.com and ask to speak with the medical officer recruiter, they can tell you everything you need to know. I am thinking I won't do that because I didn't know you needed a BSN, I already have a BS and was going to get an associates in nursing, but I can't. The closest place to get a BSN is 2 hours and I don't think I want to go to school away from DH again, we've spent enough time apart.

As for being stationed together, the Navy does do everything they can to keep couples together, but if there is nothing available, you may not be together. You are not allowed in the same command, but that's usually not an issue as far as getting orders, there are many commands on one base, so you won't work together, but you both work in the same general vicinity.

FWIW, I have friends in dual military in the Army and Air Force and they have been stationed together for two rounds of PCSing and they are more difficult to get together than a same service couple. The military really does try to get you together, but it's never a guarantee. This is also my biggest fear and about the only thing holding me back from just joining.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by jznavywife View Post
    I've also looked into this and am seriously considering joining the Navy, though probably not in the nurse corp now. Look up your closest officer recruiting office on Navy.com and ask to speak with the medical officer recruiter, they can tell you everything you need to know. I am thinking I won't do that because I didn't know you needed a BSN, I already have a BS and was going to get an associates in nursing, but I can't. The closest place to get a BSN is 2 hours and I don't think I want to go to school away from DH again, we've spent enough time apart.

As for being stationed together, the Navy does do everything they can to keep couples together, but if there is nothing available, you may not be together. You are not allowed in the same command, but that's usually not an issue as far as getting orders, there are many commands on one base, so you won't work together, but you both work in the same general vicinity.

FWIW, I have friends in dual military in the Army and Air Force and they have been stationed together for two rounds of PCSing and they are more difficult to get together than a same service couple. The military really does try to get you together, but it's never a guarantee. This is also my biggest fear and about the only thing holding me back from just joining.

me too
    i called the medical recruiter and lest a message but she never called me back... more time to think about it though
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsbabygirl View Post
    me too
    i called the medical recruiter and lest a message but she never called me back... more time to think about it though

I've had the absolute worst luck getting a hold of anyone. I've left multiple messages, email and nada. I actually spoke to the medical recruiter, he told me the info and and I moved nurse corp to the back burner after that. Now I can't get a hold of the general officer recruiter, grrr.
  8. Senior Member
    The Navy's Medical Corps is doing a mad rush for recruiting. Please look into it further but make this is something you want to do. Also, don't rush it since the age requirements are higher than other Officer Programs.