Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: separation

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

separation

Advertisements
    im not really sure if this is the right thread, i didnt know where else to put it but ive been a bit stressed about my husbands seperation from the military. His contract is up in about 9 months and im really scared. I want him to re-enlist but he doesnt want to and wants to go to school instead. So i am supporting him in his choice to get out. But its a really scary thought to me making the transition into civilian world. We will both be full time students and plan on getting part time jobs to help support us.. This economy is crap with trying to get a job and paying for other expenses such as health insurence. We have no children, which makes things easier but im so worried about what will come up. Does anyone have any advice for me to help me from driving me and my husband nuts
  2. Banned
    Banned
    you need to really look at a budget-

my DS is a full time student- lives with my dad, and has not had a part time job for 5 months-
    he had a job with a small company that closed- he has not been able to find another one.

he has 9 dollars in his checking account and school does not start for 4 more weeks.

he is going today to apply for a loan to get him thru the first semester if he cannot get his old tutoring job back.

he does not pay for housing, he does not have health insurance, he has a car payment, insurance gas, cell phone, internet costs, food costs and he still needs to earn 1200 dollars a month.

have you talked to him about switching branches or staying in and going to school part time?
  3. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    what about getting orders to go to school while still in the military? Or to take classes while in the military?

The best I can recommend is do a budget. Working and going to school while worrying about finances can be stressful so make sure you know what you are doing financially
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It's his decision but one option is...

If he is active duty he can go to school (limited amount of classes per year) Maybe 8 classes per year without using his GI Bill! My husband currently does this with AMU.

Also he could go Green and Gold as well(I don't know what branch he is in or for that matter if all branches have Green and Gold)
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    thanks everyone, weve talked about him going to school parttime while active duty and hes going to be going to a culinary school and he was gonna try to do it parttime but the way the classes are set up they are not by semester, the classes are over a span of weeks and you HAVE to be a full time student to get the classes done. at this point he says re-enlisting is NOT an option and he wants out.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I feel you girl, my DH is getting out in only 5 months, and we found out short notice, bc we have not other choice. ( But thats another story)
    Im also scared a bit
  7. Senior Member
    DH is getting out within the next 11 months. He's waiting on word about whether he'll be getting a medical separation or not. I agree with what's been said about budgeting. Also, don't spend any money that you don't absolutely have to. DH and I have put off buying a new car and other big purchases because of him possibly getting out early.