Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ANG vs. AF Reserves

1. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech

ANG vs. AF Reserves

Advertisements
    Not sure where this should go, but I was just wondering what are the differences, if any, between Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserves.

I know ANG is state and AF Reserves is federal. But is that the only difference?

Just really curious. TIA.
  2. Senior Member

depends if you're trying to get a full-time job or just stay traditional. if you're AGR (active guard reserve), you're full-time and paid on the federal scale and you're in the ANG. if you're ART (active reserve technician), you're full-time and paid on the federal scale and you're in the AFR. you can also get technician jobs through the ANG and those are paid by state and have state benefits.

now, if you're talking traditional guard or reserve, there are many differences. guard does not necessary report immediately after tech school...except for inprocessing and drill. unless, for some reason, you're on active orders. reserve, on the other hand, i believe is put on orders for like 6 months for upgrade training right after tech school. guard responds to state issues first, and then government. reserves responds to government issues first. both are deployable but have diff. cycles and whatnot, depending on AEF buckets. the benefits of enlistment are different for each too...one reason being because guard is state funded. for instance, i got a $20,000 loan repayment program, GI Bill, and a $15,000 bonus when i enlisted in the guard. my hubby just transferred to the reserves and he did not get a bonus. it just depends on careerfield, timing, etc.

anyway, i'm a traditional guardsman and have been for over 4 years...if you have questions, just PM me. my hubby just transferred to the reserves from active duty AF and is filling a full-time position now.
  3. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Wow thanks for the info. Slightly confused. Didn't even consider there being a traditional and full time job regarding reserves and guard. But thanks.
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    Wow thanks for the info. Slightly confused. Didn't even consider there being a traditional and full time job regarding reserves and guard. But thanks.
    i think a lot of people think of the guard and reserve as just weekend warrior duty. but there's a lot more to it. so i just try and inform people because there's so much more to it than just a weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer. it's a great opportunity for people looking for part-time military jobs or even full-time military jobs. if you're confused, please PM me, i can tell you more...i felt like i was writing a book in your thread so i tried to keep it short and sweet. lol.