Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hubbs Considering Seabee Rate:

1. Senior Member

Help Hubbs Considering Seabee Rate:

Advertisements
    Last edited by NavyWife.Moody; 01-15-2010 at 02:21 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    What does he do now?

As far as the conversion process ensure he is only scoring on the PFA in the Excellent and above category because they won't approve him othewise. I have been able to get 3 of my Sailors into the Seabee Community but it takes lots of work.

Tell him to be patient if this is what he wants.
  3. Senior Member

4. Senior Member
    Well it's good that your Husband is able to qualify for a new job using the new method and if he is eligible for BU then he can only go to A School and not take the exam. If he takes the exam then they make make him stay 2 years in that rate prior to putting in for Seabee.

There are some Seabee Wives on here who could probably breakdown the different Seabee Ratings better than me.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Just a heads up he can't cross rate right now until the new fisical year in October because its not just the BU rate thats full its all Seabee rates. Dh just tried that route after some other things fell through after he was injured in his training. He has spent the majority of his career with the bees as a fleet rate. In my opinion having spent the last 5 years with DH at the bees out of the first 2 years in the fleet, the seabees are so much better. Way more family time, its so much easier to plan things because their schedule is set. Home for 12 months now and gone for 6 and FEX ( field exercise ) for 2 or 3 weeks in the middle of homeport. The rest is pretty much just like shore duty when they are home, they go to work every day and come home every night. Weekends are free unless he has duty or something.

They have set locations where they deploy the mainbody which is the majority of the battalion, they do have dets which deploy to other locations that could be anywhere. The chances of them going to a war zone is extremely likely. The middle east is a main deployment site right now for the bees. Most of the bees stay on a base and build new things or rebuild old things and they are not allowed to leave that base unless they are put on a tactical movement team like my dh was with convoy security. Only a handful of guys out of a several hundred in a battallion do that job though.

They fly to their deployment locations, you drop them off at the hangar or armory and they get on a bus and go to the airport and then after 6 months you go to the hangar and pick them up or where ever the command sets the homecoming. Yes communication is way better in my opinion. When my dh was on a ship I only got to talk to him by phone when they were in port and email was crappy. I never experienced that with the bees. Even with my dh traveling all over Iraq I talked to him more than i ever did on the ship. He just got put back on a ship and I don't know what to think about it... I am going to miss the bee's so much. Its all we've really known. I've heard the fleet has changed a lot, but I don't know. I'm still sad.
  6. Senior Member

7. Senior Member

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyWife.Moody View Post
    Thanks for giving me answers to my questions. Sorry took awhile to make a longer post back, were all sick in the household :[ Bleh.

I myself am starting to like this Seabee rate, and I know dh is plum sick of being undes in deck dept. He wants out, and would really like to be away from larger ships, in general (as much as he can).

communication with dh and I now on ship, is okayish...the lines were shut down quite a bit to much for my liking, but I am not going to fuss, but if he rates and it just so happens to be that this rate has been forms of communication that are stable then YAY, you know?

thanks for the info about the closeness to the war, very much appreicated. Their military we all know, but we all know we want to know the facts and be preparded.

well If I have any more questions, I'll put in another reply to this thread!
    Is he up for the September Navy Wide Advancement Exam? How long has he been onboard?

Remember he can put in his package at the 1 year onboard mark so ensure if the Seabees doesn't work out that he takes the test for something in September if he is eligible.
  9. Regular Member

We're startioned at one of the main Seebee bases now. The main two in the US are here at Gulfport, MS and in Port Huenme, CA. I think CA would be the way to go personally, but then, I grew up in MS and was none to thrilled to be coming back. My hubby isn't a Seebee, he's a corpsman, but since he's been with them a while I can tell you a few things.

#1 - they have a strict (at this base and these 5 battalions anyway) 1 yr homeport rule in between deployments and they are only gone for 6 months at a time. They do deploy to combat zones as often as not, but since they build things they are generally away from the fighting. (though their motto isn't "we build, we fight" for no reason. There's always risk, but let's just say I like my hubby's assignments with them better then when he was with a Marine battalion.

#2 - this base at least is small by most standards and fairly homey- we just moved back on base. This area is expensive though thanks to Hurricane Katrina, you have to pay way more then a place is worth to live out in town.

#3- most if not all of the Seebee "A" schools are located here, so you'd be here for a little while at least. I know the builders rate A school is I'm pretty sure anyway. (BU)

#4- as a veteran sailor myself anything is better then being undesignated! LOL. No really, it doesn't seem that bad, but physical standards and discapline are taken a bit more seriously then at some shore commands, we joke that the Bees secretly all want to be Marines.

goodluck getting it all figured out!
    Just holding down the fort with the furry kids. Getting ready for deployment #3!

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My husband is a BUC. I will try to answer some of your questions

Quote Originally Posted by NavyWife.Moody View Post
    Anyone with So's Seabee's? Any info given would be handy, I have no idea about this Rate, Hubbs is studying a book about it, but figured I would ask you ladies and get first hand experiences to base actual opinions.

Here are some of my questions:

Hows the Hours: Shore duty, piece o cake. Sea duty 6 on 12 off(more during war time) Meaning 6 months unaccompanied in a country then 12 months home.
    Hours when you are home during "sea duty" are rough 6-5 usually. They are trying to justify guys being home so long since there bread and butter is overseas.

Do they take tours over seas quite frequentally? Or?: Okay so like regular navy. 3 years sea, 3 years shore. 6 on 12 off during sea duty times. (seabees go IA ALOT)

Chances of serving in or around war areas: My husband was on war zone twice already (very liekly not going to lie)

Any special pays given: nope. Not unless he is in a war zone.

More family oreintated? (closer to loved ones more, more/easier phone calls, Etc): the same I guess

Smaller group? Instead of a Ship persay:
    Much smaller group. A ship is like what 6,000 people. Yeah no where near that.

Are they strictly Shore Duty?:
    I am not shore what you mean by striclty but my husbands guys show up at 6:30 and leave at 2:30 and have half day on fridays. Laid back duty
    Thanks in advance is you take the time to help!
    Hope I helped!