Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTS Question

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

PTS Question

Advertisements
    Can somebody explain to me the PTS process and how long it normally takes for one to get approved or denied? My hubby is AD Navy, and will hit the 12 year mark in January. He submitted his PTS in mid-May and we have yet to receive an answer. His career counselor here in Guam has given him several different stories, and quite frankly not knowing is really stressing me out! TIA.
  2. Senior Member
    You're in Guam? Awesome. I am.

Anyway.

PTS = Perform To Serve.

It's based on a monthly cycle (last Friday of every month) and everyone is cycled up to 6 times.

It's kinda like a lottery... you go up against everyone in your rate (that is putting in a PTS also) and they look at your evals, how long you've been in rate, etc. and then they also look at manning for that particular rate.

Since he put in his PTS mid-May, he would have been cycled for May and June (the 24th was the cycle date) and he needs to check his command's message traffic to see if his PTS approval is in message traffic.

He'll get told 1 of 3 things in said message (it's an official message... himself or his CCC needs to find it):

1, "re-enlist in rate effective upon receipt of this message"
    2, "following Sailors are tentatively approved for conversion to the rating listed"
    3, "following Sailors were not selected for re-enlistment or conversion at this time" etc.

(I have my PTS approval message sitting in front of me )

Anyway, that's the gist of it.

If he has any more questions, PM me and I'll give you my number and he can call me and I'll tell him who to talk to. I work at PSD.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dea1980 View Post
    Can somebody explain to me the PTS process and how long it normally takes for one to get approved or denied? My hubby is AD Navy, and will hit the 12 year mark in January. He submitted his PTS in mid-May and we have yet to receive an answer. His career counselor here in Guam has given him several different stories, and quite frankly not knowing is really stressing me out! TIA.
    What you just mentioned doesn't add up because Sailors with over 10 years of service have not been required to PTS until June 26th which is the last Friday of the month as mentioned above. The PTS results for June will be out Wednesday or Thursday of this week and will be viewable via the PTS Website or through message traffic.

When is his EAOS because if it's before Feb 2010 then he does not require it. Also if his EAOS is after his 14 year mark then once again he does not require it.

The rest of the information provided above is pretty decent info but the main thing that needs to be mentioned is that Perform to Serve is done 15 months prior to their EAOS or End of Active Obligated Service.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Right now I am visiting CA, but will be returning to Guam in August Unfortunately my husband is an MA, one of the most locked up rates in the Navy. He put in his PTS as soon as the instruction came out for sailors with 10+ years. Maybe I am wrong, and it was put in June, but I could have sworn he told me he did it in May. His EOAS is supposed to be next month, but he had to extend to May of 2010 for his current orders. Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate the info.
    Last edited by dea1980; 07-02-2009 at 12:05 AM.
  5. Senior Member
    Right now I am visiting CA, but will be returning to Guam in August Unfortunately my husband is an MA, one of the most locked up rates in the Navy. He put in his PTS as soon as the instruction came out for sailors with 10+ years. Maybe I am wrong, and it was put in June, but I could have sworn he told me he did it in May. His EOAS is supposed to be next month, but he had to extend to May of 2010 for his current orders. Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate the info.
    If he can reenlist next month then he will not be affected by the Perform to Serve Policy!!!!!! Get him to do it to save you the headaches or worrying about getting PTS Approved.

Since the above poster also works at PSD then she can assist you if need be in getting the contracts written.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    His Career Counselor told him he had to have his PTS approved before he could reenlist. Is that not true?
  7. Senior Member
    His Career Counselor told him he had to have his PTS approved before he could reenlist. Is that not true?
    It's not true because if he is over 10 years and his EAOS is before Feb 2010 then he doesn't need to get an approval. It doesn't matter about extensions because you can always cancel them off a reenlistment.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    NC...do you have a link for the PTS site by chance?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    OP...if your dh is in zone C then yes, he would have to put in a PTS package from what I understand.
  10. Senior Member
    2. PTS FOR ZONE C:
    A. ZONE C PTS WILL BE IMPLEMENTED BEGINNING 1 JUNE 2009.
    B. ZONE C SAILORS ARE THOSE WHO HAVE MORE THAN 10, BUT LESS THAN
    OR EQUAL TO 14 YEARS OF SERVICE.
    C. ALL ZONE C SAILORS WITH AN END OF ACTIVE OBLIGATED SERVICE
    (EAOS) ON OR AFTER 1 FEBRUARY 2010 ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A PTS
    APPLICATION, REGARDLESS OF THEIR REENLISTMENT INTENTIONS.

D. SAILORS MUST HAVE AN APPROVED ZONE C PTS RESERVATION PRIOR TO
    REENLISTING, EXTENDING, OR NEGOTIATING ORDERS IF THEIR EAOS MEETS THE
    REQUIREMENTS IN PARAGRAPH 2C.
    E. ZONE C PTS WILL FOLLOW THE SAME BASIC PROCESSING GUIDELINES AND
    PROCEDURES THAT ARE CURRENTLY IMPLEMENTED IN ZONES A AND B PTS AS
    ESTABLISHED IN REF B.
    F. PER REF B, THE PAGE 13 ENTRY ACCEPTING A RESERVATION QUOTA
    WITHIN 30 DAYS OF MESSAGE RECEIPT FOR AN IN-RATE REENLISTMENT OR RATING
    CONVERSION WILL BE ENTERED INTO THE NAVY STANDARD INTEGRATED PERSONNEL
    SYSTEM (NSIPS). IN SPECIAL CASES WHERE NSIPS IS NOT AVAILABLE,
    COMMANDS ARE DIRECTED TO SUBMIT A COPY OF THE PAGE 13 TO NAVY PERSONNEL
    COMMAND CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER VIA FAX AT (901)
    874-2116 OR EMAIL AT CSCMAILBOX(AT)NAVY.MIL. IN ALL CASES, THE COMMAND
    WILL MAINTAIN AN ELECTRONIC OR PAPER COPY ON FILE. THE PTS WEBSITE AT
    WWW.NPC.NAVY.MIL/CAREERINFO/PERFORMTOSERVE/.

Please listen to me because I know what I am talking about. This is my job and I am damn good at it and will not risk getting your spouse kicked out...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast