Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Reenlistments Until November?

1. Senior Member

Confused No Reenlistments Until November?

Advertisements
    DB is currently serving in Iraq, is well within his reenlistment window, was basically ambushed by one of the other retention NCOs (DB is company retention NCO, so someone at a higher level apparently) while they were still in Kuwait and, more or less, convinced to reenlist.

It all came as quite a shock to me since he was so anti-reenlistment while he was in garrison, but I'm behind him 110% in whatever decision he makes.

However, reenlisting is a big logistical issue for me. I live about three hours from where he's stationed when in garrison. The plan was that he ETS'ed in 2010 and moved down here. We both like the area, it's reasonably priced, has great schools for my DS and any future kids we have. If he reenlists, I pretty much have to move up to the Ft. Hood area, because this long distance thing is for the birds, but was doable in the short term, especially because he deployed within a year of getting back from Korea.

Today, he gets told that no one will be able to reenlist until, at least, November, because the Army is overstrength and trying to draw down the numbers. Anyone else hearing something similar?

I'm just worried with this extra time to think it over, he might change his mind and hell, I don't really want to move up to Killeen, thinking that's where I need to be, just to move out of it if he separates. (No Army = No Killeen)
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I don't know. My friend, Anthony just reelisted. So it depends on the MOS.
  3. Senior Member
    Anyone know how often the priority MOS list comes out? Because his was on the list for March 2009. Granted, he's an NCO and the priority list is for E4 and below, but the whole section of the company with DB's MOS was told they wouldn't be considered until November and every single one, but DB and one other guy, are SPCs or below.

DB literally got shoved out of a spot he had great credentials for an into this other company because of a lack of available E5s in his MOS. This was barely a year ago. So it's just really strange that they won't even consider retaining him for another six months. They've spent a small fortune on training him and basic HR principles are that it's cheaper to retain an employee than train a new one (or am I using too much logic when considering the military?), and the MOS was on the high priority list as little as three months ago.

Hell, the Secretary of Defense even mentioned they are going to start throwing money at training helicopter pilots and crews about a month ago because they have plenty of aircraft and not enough people to fly or fix them.

So... I'm confused.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadlyDeeplyTruly View Post
    DB is currently serving in Iraq, is well within his reenlistment window, was basically ambushed by one of the other retention NCOs (DB is company retention NCO, so someone at a higher level apparently) while they were still in Kuwait and, more or less, convinced to reenlist.

It all came as quite a shock to me since he was so anti-reenlistment while he was in garrison, but I'm behind him 110% in whatever decision he makes.

However, reenlisting is a big logistical issue for me. I live about three hours from where he's stationed when in garrison. The plan was that he ETS'ed in 2010 and moved down here. We both like the area, it's reasonably priced, has great schools for my DS and any future kids we have. If he reenlists, I pretty much have to move up to the Ft. Hood area, because this long distance thing is for the birds, but was doable in the short term, especially because he deployed within a year of getting back from Korea.

Today, he gets told that no one will be able to reenlist until, at least, November, because the Army is overstrength and trying to draw down the numbers. Anyone else hearing something similar?

I'm just worried with this extra time to think it over, he might change his mind and hell, I don't really want to move up to Killeen, thinking that's where I need to be, just to move out of it if he separates. (No Army = No Killeen)

That's odd because the Army is increasing their end strength
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by NC@SEA View Post
    That's odd because the Army is increasing their end strength
    I thought the same thing. Hmm. How odd.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yeah I dunno I've heard bad things about the navy trying to cut down on reenlistments and about them having financial problems....but I haven't heard anything about the army.

Dh just reenlisted maybe two and a half months ago and they gave him a significant signing bonus as well. He was also not planning on reenlisting till they waved the money in his face....but whatever, eight more years takes him to retirement and it will be nice drawing a pension at 37.
  7. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I dont know about the Army, but DH informed me that he will not be recieving a re-enlistment bonus when he re-enlists.... I also just read in the Navy times that Bonus' for SRBs have been cut until Oct 1.
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  8. Proud Navy Wife
    Proud Navy Wife
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbellwillis View Post
    I dont know about the Army, but DH informed me that he will not be recieving a re-enlistment bonus when he re-enlists.... I also just read in the Navy times that Bonus' for SRBs have been cut until Oct 1.
    Yeah.. dh gets no bonus. He was supposed to re-enlist on Monday, but his paperwork got routed incorrectly (for the 2nd time!!). It's been a big mess and very stressful since his end of service date is in July.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I actually just talked to DBF and he may not be able to reenlist until October because "they've met their number for the fiscal year."

Whatever, just more hoops to jump and even more waiting.
    As DBF likes to say when he talks about timing and the military: hurry up and wait!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alayna View Post
    I thought the same thing. Hmm. How odd.
    i thought they were increasing the strength too. i dont know 100% but i heard something along these lines about navy a few months back... maybe this is just spreading around?? i'm sorry and i hope you get it worked out fast so you arent stuck worrying about what to do too long
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast