Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: AF question...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Whatever AF question...

Advertisements
    My Brother joined the Air Force this last week... but they didn't give him an MOS or a Basic training start date. My Brother is positive that he will be able to get one of the top 3 MOS's he put on his wish list... I'm not so sure. Is it normal for the AF to not give orders or assign an MOS when they've been sworn in? He told me, they told him he would have his orders in a month. Does this sound right to any of you?

I am so lost I don't understand. Then again he keeps telling me I'm Army I won't ever understand!

ETA: I hope I put this in the right place...
    Valerie

"They do not love, that do not show their love." William Shakespeare
  2. Senior Member
    Has he already been to meps? If so and he wasn't told there what his job will be, he will be told sometime during basic what his job will be.

As for orders I am not sure if you mean where he will be stationed or his job, but since I answered the job part in regards to where he will be stationed that he doesn't find out til tech school.
  3. Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Blog Entries

More than likely what is happening is the AF is now in the process of matching him to a job. Did he tell them approx. when he wanted to leave? My daughter said she wanted to leave 1 August and they said within a month they would have her matched to one of the top 3 jobs on her list and a date for Basic. So we're almost to the one month point now. I asked a recruiter friend of mine recently if that was normal (as I enlisted in 1983 and hubby in 1982 so things have changed quite a bit). Otherwise, they will call him and tell him his basic departure date and in basic let him know his job (do you know if he is coming in Open General, meaning no guaranteed job?)
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If he doesn't even have a date to leave for basic, he won't have orders. Most of the time people don't get orders until they are in tech school. And depending on his job assignment and where he'd be needed, you never know if he'll get one of his top MOS. My husband's job was only available at a few places so we were lucky and got our number one choice, but some jobs are available everywhere and while they try to give you something you like, ultimately they send you where you are needed. AF is kind of weird sometimes, my husband was "sworn in" 4 different times; once at MEPS, once at an event where family could watch, once at MEPS again swearing into active duty before he went to basic, and one last time at his basic graduation.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    yep he went to MEPS, signed his contract, and then was sworn in there. He wont tell me a lot of details... But I worry that he went in open general.
    Valerie

6. Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Blog Entries

Try not to worry about Open General too much. I was Open General when I enlisted and was a 4A0 (Medical Administration).
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmom24 View Post
    yep he went to MEPS, signed his contract, and then was sworn in there. He wont tell me a lot of details... But I worry that he went in open general.
    Right now most people in the AF if they go in open general they go in SP. Or that is how it had been the last several years. It really is one of the few that if you don't specify, and your asvab is just ok in all areas they will stick you because anyone can do it.

He will be fine no matter what.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    good my dad called me freaking out... but it's like I told my dad... if he was brave enough to join, then he can handle it! I just thought it was odd that there was no start date!
    Valerie

9. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

My DH didnt leave for basic until a year later. He most likely wont know what his job is until basic and his orders probably wont come til tech school. That's how it worked for us. DH was told he would work on the B52 (i think thats what they are) bombers before basic then when after basic he was told what his job was.