Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is shore duty like?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

What is shore duty like?

Advertisements
    I am not sure whether my SO will reenlist or not. We had decided a few months back that he would because the economy is crap. He has a bachelors degree already so he thinks he will still be able to get a job when he gets out. Can any of you tell me your experiences with shore duty so that I may tell him. We need to make a decision very soon because his command may let him get out 1 year early. I know that he cannot pick shore duty billets until after Oct. 1st because the Navy has run out of money for the fiscal year. His Prd is supposed to be Jan 1st. It doesn't seem like we will have much time to choose orders. We are very confused as what to do! Any help would be appreciated! By the way, we have 4 children too so that is also a big factor in this decision.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    It all depends on the job and what command he is with. For us, I would rather sea duty than shore. He was home more and his hours when he was home were stable. Shore he was doing 1 of 3 things, working, sleeping or driving to/from work. Everyday his work hours were different. For some rates/commands shore sucks.
  3. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    if sea is hell shore is purgatory
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    How was the command as far as having things for families to do together? Where did you guys have shore duty? My SO is an AT.
  5. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    It all depends on the job and what command he is with. For us, I would rather sea duty than shore. He was home more and his hours when he was home were stable. Shore he was doing 1 of 3 things, working, sleeping or driving to/from work. Everyday his work hours were different. For some rates/commands shore sucks.
    Exactly. My husband is home all the time, and he's with a maintenance command... no overnight duty and such.. BUT, other commands, like those who inspect ships have it rougher for shore duty. It will all depend on what billet he accepts and what job he is placed in at that command. We've been through both sea and shore twice in our marriage and both have their perks and downfalls.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks12 View Post
    How was the command as far as having things for families to do together? Where do you guys have shore duty?
    DH's shore command's did nothing for families. You can pretty much do shore duty at any base. What is your DH's rate? We did 2 shore rotations in San Diego and will eventually do one more in Norfolk.
  7. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    How was the command as far as having things for families to do together? Where did you guys have shore duty? My SO is an AT.
    G's command has 2 functions yearly.. a BBQ where the Chief selectees cook for the whole command and their families and a Christmas Party.. Shore commands aren't typically as "function happy" as sea going commands.. Sea going commands push it more because they want the sailors and their families to become close...it's all about the commaraderie.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    DH's shore command's did nothing for families. You can pretty much do shore duty at any base. What is your DH's rate? We did 2 shore rotations in San Diego and will eventually do one more in Norfolk.
    He is an AT.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    He is an AT.
    He could do shore at any air station that has an opening for his rank. Mine was an AC for 2 shore rotations. And from what I have seen, depending on the base, the hours arent normal working hours if the base has a 24 hour runway.

How long has he been in for? Is there any way he can start looking for a job now just to test the waters and see if it's even possible for him to get a job?
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Well we started looking at jobs now and have found some, but we just aren't sure how many other people will be applying for the jobs that have more qualifications. His detailer said to him today that his rate is overmanned so if he wants to get out 1 year early, which is at the end of June, then to go ahead and apply to do so. He just needs to get it approved by the CO, but they didn't think it would be a problem. I am just really scared to not have a set job or healthcare, but I know that he has other qualifications that could land him a great job. He's been in for 4 years, but does have a mechanical engineering bachelors degree.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast