Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Army AD to NG?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Army AD to NG?

Advertisements
    Okay so DF and I have been talking and he mentioned he wanted to stay in the Army but go to the NG. He can't reenlist right now because he got flagged (he failed his PT test because he broke his finger and was in a splint and couldn't do the push ups). Once that flag gets lifted can he reenlist with the guard? I'm just a little confused on how this works. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Girlfriend View Post
    Okay so DF and I have been talking and he mentioned he wanted to stay in the Army but go to the NG. He can't reenlist right now because he got flagged (he failed his PT test because he broke his finger and was in a splint and couldn't do the push ups). Once that flag gets lifted can he reenlist with the guard? I'm just a little confused on how this works. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Transferring branches isn't a simple process. Your fiance will probably have to complete his obligation with the Army, flag or no flag, and then leave the Army when his enlistment is up and then join the Guard. Remember, Army is a federally-funded organization, while Guards are funded by each individual state; they aren't one and the same organization.

If he had a medical condition that prevented him from passing his PT test, there shouldn't be a failure involved unless he's overweight, and then the failure is for a different reason.

For factual information on this matter, I recommend you pose the question to the knowledgeable folks at the US military site on about.com. http://usmilitary.about.com/ They can quote regs, policies and everything else that will be a whole lot more helpful to you than "Well, when my husband had that....."
  3. NDNatlGuardGF
    NDNatlGuardGF

As long as his active duty time is up and he's on his IRR time he can switch to whatever branch he wants, NG included. I did that when I got outa the Navy. I did 4 years active with them, 1 year in Navy IRR and then 1 year Army NG. The thing with the finger could hold him back, but other than that nothing should. There could be issues with him keeping his same job or maybe having to switch dpending on the Guard's needs, or maybe having to drop a rank or something, but that should be it. If they tell him he has to drop a rank tell him to argue it. I had just put on E-5 in the Navy (wore it for about 6 months) and the Army NG let me keep it which rarely happens.