Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: GI Bill help!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

GI Bill help!

Advertisements
    Lets say im in school now and taking out student loans, after i graduate, i join the military. As an officer would i get the GI Bill? Could i use it to pay off my student loans? How does the GI bill work (like do i get it once im in or once im out) ? Any info would be great thanks ladies!
  2. Senior Member
    I know they offer some program for paying back up to $10,000 of your student loans. Its the college loan repayment program. Not sure how this works with being an officer/ I dont know much about it.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed

I'm not 100% sure how the new GI Bill will work, but you have to be enrolled in school and the money gets sent directly to the school, from what I understand. So you wouldn't be able to use it to repay loans. Usually there is some type of tuition reimbursement though. I got about $9000 when I came in to help pay off student loans.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ok thanks, your post about your MIL got me thinking about this!

Ive always wanted to join and go in as an officer, but im still unsure about it, my mom has had a million questions about this loan repayment since im about 20k in and this is my freshmen year!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy522899 View Post
    Ok thanks, your post about your MIL got me thinking about this!

Ive always wanted to join and go in as an officer, but im still unsure about it, my mom has had a million questions about this loan repayment since im about 20k in and this is my freshmen year!
    I was really tempted to say "call my MIL, she'll know" but I wasnt sure if you had read the post or not

I know we really considered it with DH, and all I really remember is it would pay up to $10,000 in your student loans and you needed it in your contract when you enlisted. It was called the college loan repayment program if you want to google it. Not sure how much info there is on it, I think its a newer program.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ok thanks ill check it out!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Checked it out, officers do not qualify for it! Good to know haha, im searching everything now!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
  9. Member
    You do get the GI Bill as an officer, but you can't use it to repay loans. Once you get out of the military, you would have 10 years to use it. Not sure if they will change anything in august, they are talking about letting people transfer it to a dependent while still active with a certain amount of TIS.