Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help me understand this ... 'cause I'm soooo confused, now

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Help me understand this ... 'cause I'm soooo confused, now

Advertisements
    I'm SURE that in one of my many many conversations with DH in the last - oooh - 2 years - he briefly mentioned the reason for this
    Damned if I can remember a thing.

So - he's gone for 2 weeks training at the moment, right? (Right.)
    He's in the National Guard. Right? (maybe?)
    On the phone, today, I said something about it being "your yearly two weeks...no big deal" and he said "No, I'm not National Guard, anymore . . . I'm Active Duty, now. I don't deal with 1 weekend, 2 weeks, anymore . . . "

Ok - Active Duty what?

Active Duty National Guard? (this is what I always thought he was - but he said he's not considered this, anymore)
    Active Duty Reserve?
    Active Duty Army?
    Active Duty Alien?

You can't JUST be "Active Duty" ... you've gotta be something more than that, right? So what the hell is he?

He explained it, sort of but, obviously, his explanation made NO sense 'cause I still don't get it.
  2. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    There is Active Duty National Guard
  3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    yeah, that's what i thought!

So he's still Active Duty National Guard ... but he's just NOT doing the traditional National Guard stent.

So he's just being nitpicky with terms. I think he misses "Regular Army" and refuses to identify himself that way
  4. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    yeah, that's what i thought!

So he's still Active Duty National Guard ... but he's just NOT doing the traditional National Guard stent.

So he's just being nitpicky with terms. I think he misses "Regular Army" and refuses to identify himself that way
    yeah. Active Duty National Guard means that he is under "deployable status" for anywhere up to 15 months, I believe. Regular national guard does the "2 weekends, 1 week" (or whatever) but they do it in the U.S. and don't get deployed. They stay home and "hold down the fort" so to speak. Or atleast that's how my friend's dad explained it to me, he was REALLY high up in the guard too. Like....scary high up
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    That makes perfect sense!

My hubby tried to explain it to me but be damned if he can't just talk regular and simple to anyone about something
  6. Senior Member
    If he is deployed w/ the national guard then he is on active duty for the national guard. Active duty national guard means he is working full time for the national guard. For instance my DF is active duty in the national guard. He gets up everyday and puts on his uniform and goes to work as a recruiter. Before he was a recruiter he was active guard and he worked in a Med. Det.? doing medic things just like he did when he was active army.

Anyone in the national guard is deploy able just like the regular army (baring all the same reasons why an active duty army person would not be deploy able).

hope this helps