Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Coast Guard?

1. Senior Member

Question Coast Guard?

Advertisements
    Hey everyone, so I wanted to get an idea what coast guard life is like. We might be considering transfering from Navy to Coast Guard. So for your Coast Guard wives, how often does yoru DH go on deployments, how long are deployments. What station locations are there? What do you like of coast guard? Pretty much anything you can tell me

Thanks

Gwendolyn

Yes, I'm a Coupon Freak!! Check out my Blog
  2. Senior Member

Hey Im in the Coast Guard So i can probably help ya!! LOL

Umm deployments on a Cutter are considerable shorter then Navy, at most on like 378 is umm 6weeks i think.. (not sure on that one though)

Stations are EVERYWHERE you would be surpise where they are at..
    I know most about Station life, and ANT team life, so if you got any questions about that i can answer them NO problem! PM me if you would like, Good luck to you and your SO!

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ~LinnyAnne~ View Post
    Hey Im in the Coast Guard So i can probably help ya!! LOL

Umm deployments on a Cutter are considerable shorter then Navy, at most on like 378 is umm 6weeks i think.. (not sure on that one though)

Stations are EVERYWHERE you would be surpise where they are at..
    I know most about Station life, and ANT team life, so if you got any questions about that i can answer them NO problem! PM me if you would like, Good luck to you and your SO!
    I came in to say LinnyAnne is in the CG.
  4. Starting over...
    Starting over...
    my dh is in the coast guard, and he loves it! he's on a 270' cutter, and this patrol they're on right now is about 8 weeks... they've been gone almost 10 before, though. usually it goes that however long they're underway ("deployed"), that's how long the inport is. the patrol before this one was only a month long, so their inport was only a month long. in some ways it's hard, because as soon as you get a schedule down and get used to being alone they come home and mess it up! and then once they're home it takes a while to get accustomed to them being there again and then they leave... it gets frustrating sometimes. other than when he's gone i really have no complaints... we've only been married for a year and a half, though, so i'll get back to you on that one.

oh, and right now we're in portsmouth, nh but in june/july we'll be moving to cape cod... there are soooo many stations available (like linnyanne said), and if your SO gets on a ship they pretty much get their pick of whichever station they'd like to get next once that duty station is over... it's not a guarantee, though; aj (my dh) got, like, his 12th pick, but that was the detailer's fault, not aj's.

anyway, i don't know how much i'll be able to help you, but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

I will do what God asks me to do; I will give God what I cannot do; and no matter what, I will trust the Lord.
    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1
  5. xOdanikaOx
    I love it, and so does DF. except agreed with TarynD, does get frustrating with the constant coming and going but I wouldnt have it any other way!
  6. Senior Member
    DH was on a cutter in Portsmouth, VA before and he was on a 270' and he was gone for three months at the longest. He has also told me how long they are gone depends on the size of the cutter, but I could be wrong about that. After the cutter, we were at a training center and he was home every night and every weekend. We are now at a station where he works for two days, home for two days, and then he works every other weekend (Friday-Monday). It can all be frustrating sometimes, but that's with any branch of the military. As far as BIG complaints, I don't really have any.