Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Age requirements/general requirements for joining the branches of the U.S. military?

1. Senior Member

Question Age requirements/general requirements for joining the branches of the U.S. military?

Advertisements
    What are the maximum age limits for joining each branch of the U.S. military? And what are the related exceptions, i.e. OCS, OTS, commissioning, etc? What are, in your opinion, the enlistment incentives that are undervalued or overrated, i.e. SLRP, MOS/rate/other-specific bonuses, etc?

I'm very much wanting to join the military if DH doesn't go career. However, I'm 26 already and will be 29 by the time his contract is up. We're also debating dual-military. Any information would be awesome!
  2. Member
    have you been to usmilitary.about.com? they have most of that info on the site.
  3. Senior Member

Active Army - 42
    Army Reserves (Including National Guard) - 42
    Active Air Force - 27
    Air Force Reserve (inlcuding National Guard) - 34
    Active Navy - 34
    Naval Reserves - 39
    Active Marines - 28
    Marine Corps Reserve - 29
    Active Duty Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).
    Coast Guard Reserves - Age 39.
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...lstandards.htm
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    There exceptions for certain careers. Doctors and lawyers for example.
    If you have a skill they need, and are in short supply, they can wave the age.
    If you enter at an age where you can not complete 20 years (retirement) by the time you are 55, they will make you sign a waver. You may not be able to enjoy the benefits of retirement.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    I think I might be a moron. We could do dual-military for 2-3 years, could we not? (Hypothetical, thinking out loud type typing...)
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NocturneSiren View Post
    I think I might be a moron. We could do dual-military for 2-3 years, could we not? (Hypothetical, thinking out loud type typing...)
    You can dual military for however long the both of you are in.

You should know though, there is never a guarantee that you will be station at the same base/post together.
  7. Senior Member
    Oh yeah, I am aware this is a possibility...nay, a probability. I would approach it as preparing for a LDR for however long until his contract was up. I'm concerned how it would impact our plans to have a family, given this would definitely come up. What happens when an AD female in say, the AF, becomes preggo?
  8. Senior Member

Oh yeah, I am aware this is a possibility...nay, a probability. I would approach it as preparing for a LDR for however long until his contract was up. I'm concerned how it would impact our plans to have a family, given this would definitely come up. What happens when an AD female in say, the AF, becomes preggo?
    I would assume nothing, really. I mean if you had a job around hazardous material or risky they would just temporarily assign you else where. I was AD Navy when I had my first son. I worked on jets but once I was pregnant they just moved me to the tool room where I checked special tools in/out. After that I went to my shop.
  9. Senior Member
    They don't kick you out that is for one thing. I am not sure if they do it still but I believe they did give active duty females the option to get out if they became pregnant.

They will assign you to what amounts to a desk job (even if you aren't sitting at a desk) if your job is something not the best for a pregnant lady.