Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cross rating?

1. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...

Cross rating?

Advertisements
    With this new PTS program, DH was chosen by the PTS gods to convert to ABH. We know he'll have to submit a package for cross-rating, but his detailer knew nothing else. Will he be able to choose orders before he leaves for school or will he be given orders the week before completion like everyone else?
  2. Senior Member

Question

What Rate is he now? Did he want to stay in that job? What were his options?

It depends on the detailer but most likely will choose follow on orders prior to leaving for school.
  3. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    He's a DC now. He likes his job fine, but always wanted to do aviation, so it's a good move. His other choice for cross-rating was AT, but there were a few factors involved that the detailer said why he wasn't chosen (the Navy wanting to save money by not having to move dependents twice in a year the biggest factor). Does this effect his negotiation window, or is that null and void, now that he will be cross-rating?
  4. Senior Member
    Me - Bronx NY, WA DH: USS Abraham Lincoln
    My husband wants to cross rate to a seabee from a yoeman this is going to be interesting.
    CHRISTOPHER JAYDEN born October 10, 2008 5lbs 7 oz
    & Yes he was early. 33 weeks and 5 days
    NICU Survivor
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *tina* View Post
    He's a DC now. He likes his job fine, but always wanted to do aviation, so it's a good move. His other choice for cross-rating was AT, but there were a few factors involved that the detailer said why he wasn't chosen (the Navy wanting to save money by not having to move dependents twice in a year the biggest factor). Does this effect his negotiation window, or is that null and void, now that he will be cross-rating?
    Where is he now as in what command? I am going to be completely honest with you and ABH is not the choice to go into for Aviation. ABH is the aviation version of bostwain mate and his job is a aircraft handler. Long hours and not the best working conditions and will be based upon Big Deck Ships. AT would have had him actually working on the a/c and becoming marketable on the outside when it's time. Also, the detailer has no factor or inputs into the PTS Process by the way.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboyd View Post
    My husband wants to cross rate to a seabee from a yoeman this is going to be interesting.
    I think I remember you from some time ago. Just to give you a heads up. The advancement for YN is a ton better than the Seabee Community. Also, your DH will be up for 5 years of Shore Duty when he is done on the Lincoln. 5 years!!! YN's can go anywhere...

He may not like it but if you want family time then he might want to re think it.
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC@SEA View Post
    Where is he now as in what command? I am going to be completely honest with you and ABH is not the choice to go into for Aviation. ABH is the aviation version of bostwain mate and his job is a aircraft handler. Long hours and not the best working conditions and will be based upon Big Deck Ships. AT would have had him actually working on the a/c and becoming marketable on the outside when it's time. Also, the detailer has no factor or inputs into the PTS Process by the way.
    I agree, it's rough. I was an AE, basically a wire chaser, not as specialized as an AT where they work on certain components on the aircraft but still working on aircraft. AD is a jet engine mechanic. Just something to look into.