Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: E-6 Board (Army)

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Confused E-6 Board (Army)

Advertisements
    I apologize if it seems odd I'm asking this, but I'm just wondering if DH is being completely honest with me, or just telling me what he thinks I want to hear.

DH just got his E-5 mid 2008, he says that in December he was told he could go to the board for his E-6, but he's going to put it off until he's in Iraq.

Perhaps the Internet isn't half the wealth of information people make it out to be. To go that quickly from E-5 to E-6 just does not seem right. Most places say there is a minimum 8 year TIS, however DH isn't even at his 4 year mark yet.

So basically, is it possible for someone with only (almost) 4 years in to get E-6?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    of course it's possible. when i was going through nuke school there was a 4.5 year E-6. it's not common though at all.

on reading it the second time, it does seem a bit strange. i don't know what to tell you, i know more about navy.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dh is about to get his e-5 and he hasn't even been in two years yet. I'd say it's possible.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you ladies, I just wanted to be certain it was within the realm of possibility.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Anything is possible..in the Army / Military

My husband is going to the E6 board end of this month and he has been a E5 for 1 years 1/2. (My husband just hit his 5 Year mark)

So honestly who knows why but congrats!
  6. Senior Member
    It's definitely possible, but not entirely common, I don't think. I know a girl here who is an E-6 with just over 4 years TIS.
    Cori Aletta______ Avery William

09.23.09_________06.13.11
  7. Senior Member
    Yeap, it's possible. My husband went to the E6 board with less than 4 years in, and pinned at a week and a half over his 4 year mark. He made his E5 while deployed in 2007, came home in 2008, and was given the opportunity to go to the board for E6 in August of 2008, he didn't actually get to make it to the board until October because of schools, but easily could have made his E6 with less than a year time in grade, and less than 4 years time in service. Instead it was 1 week over 4 years time in service that he actually able to wear the rank of a SSG/E6, and just over a year as an E5 before the same promotion, even though he was given opportunity to board well before .
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Ok this puts my mind at rest a bit.

He knows I really want him to get his E-6 (mostly selfish reasons I want him to get it before my friends spouse who is older and has about 4 years more TIS). I know I'm evil, but she likes to brag that everyone hates her spouse because of his "rank".

The second reason is because I really want him to become a Warrant Officer (his original idea, I'm just pushing because he needs it) and I know that the more brownie points he has, the more likely that can happen.

Overall just a relief, because I'd strangle him if he was just blowing smoke.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

TIG/TIS requirements

You cannot make E-6 with less than 4 years time in service.

There are primary and secondary zones. Secondary zones for e-6 are 5 months TIG (as an E5) and 48 months time in service. So while you can definitely make e-6 with less than a year as an E-5, its not possible until you hit your 4 year mark. With that said, the Army can will do whatever it wants sometimes but the promotion system is semi-centralized and pretty automated now with the new system so I would that that would be very unlikely.
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

closing super old thread. Please make sure you look at dates before posting and introduce yourself in the newbies section