Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer/enlisted rules?

1. MissingTommy

Question Officer/enlisted rules?

Advertisements
    Question! I'll be done with law school in May, and I'm seriously considering serving as a JAG officer. Thinking it would be a million times easier for DB and I go spend more of our lives together (after marriage of course) and it's something I've been considering for about 4 years (since pre-DB days).

My issue is... that would make me an officer and he's enlisted (~9 years ago). Anyone know the rules surrounding this? I have interviews with both the Navy JAG and AF JAG coming up and I know I can ask them... but I was just hoping for some insight ahead of time!

I had no idea where to put this... so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place!
  2. Senior Member

I knew of a few couples married that were enlisted/officer but usually they were married before it. One couple were both enlisted then the husband became an officer and they could never be in the same command as far as I know... things may have changed. It's best to ask the source but I know it's been done, just not sure exactly all the rules. It's a huge no no for enlisted and officers in the same command and chain of command to date or even hang out like buddies. If it's a party or a command fuction it's okay to hang out.
  3. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!
    Dh said there are no rules on it as long as y'all are not in the same command! But to get the spefics I would ask!
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Since the Navy only considers you married or single it'd could definitely be an issue since there are major rules about officers and enlisted whether you're in the same command or not. It's most definitely something you'll need to discuss with the Navy to find out more about how it'll be handled. If ya'll were married before you joined then it wouldn't be much of a problem, but not being married will be a tough one.
  5. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Well enlisted/officer aside... what if they send you to different places, etc?
  6. MissingTommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Well enlisted/officer aside... what if they send you to different places, etc?
    Not entirely sure how everything would work just yet.. DB and I have talked about it before, though, and he made it sound as though every effort would be made for us to be assigned to the same/close areas. (no, I don't know that for sure... that's just what he said.)

In any case... it's one sure way for me to only have to take the bar once, instead of having to retake it every few years in a new state .

Lots of thinking to do in any case... sounds like we'll be needing to have a marriage talk before it becomes a serious consideration...
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MissingTommy View Post
    Not entirely sure how everything would work just yet.. DB and I have talked about it before, though, and he made it sound as though every effort would be made for us to be assigned to the same/close areas. (no, I don't know that for sure... that's just what he said.)

In any case... it's one sure way for me to only have to take the bar once, instead of having to retake it every few years in a new state .

Lots of thinking to do in any case... sounds like we'll be needing to have a marriage talk before it becomes a serious consideration...

If you're not married, there will be no effort made to have you stationed in the same area.. at all.

If you're married, they will usually try to keep you both in the same geographical area, but often it can't happen. My husband and his ex wife were stationed separately most of thier marriage.

ETA: The Navy tries to do the same geographical area. South Carolina and Virginia.. they consider "the same geographical area" for example. So it may not even be the same state when they are helping you out. They wont station you on the same ship or command though because of fraternization.
  8. MissingTommy
    No worries, I'm not under any illusion that we'd be kept together before marriage. That's why we'll have to have a serious talk about it before it becomes a consideration... both for the staying together and to avoid violating rules and whatnot.

Also... He's not Navy, he's AF. I'm considering both at this point, but we'll see.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    the rules regarding co-location are across the board- military wide- it will be needs of the service regardless of the branch.

and e and o marrieds you run into a harder position- e tours are generally longer than 0 tours ( at least with the CG) and I believe with the navy- so say your DH is an enlisted and has a 4 yr shore tour- yours maybe only 2-3 yrs.

and it is also possible for you both the get ships ( navy of course) and then the out to sea rotations may be completely opposite.

talk to a recruiter and see what they say..

If it was me- I do not think I would join for the reasons you are stating and implying.
  10. MissingTommy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the rules regarding co-location are across the board- military wide- it will be needs of the service regardless of the branch.

and e and o marrieds you run into a harder position- e tours are generally longer than 0 tours ( at least with the CG) and I believe with the navy- so say your DH is an enlisted and has a 4 yr shore tour- yours maybe only 2-3 yrs.

and it is also possible for you both the get ships ( navy of course) and then the out to sea rotations may be completely opposite.

talk to a recruiter and see what they say..

If it was me- I do not think I would join for the reasons you are stating and implying.

.... I mentioned before he's in the Air Force- pretty sure there won't be ships in his future.

Also... my OP said I'd been considering it since before DB. Four years ago I was in the Marine program, but couldn't go to OCS because I was studying for the LSAT. DB is not my only consideration here.

My primary question here is about the rules for being married E/O... or continuing dating before we get married if I'm commissioned before the wedding. The separation is a separate issue that will most likely be resolved later.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast