Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP! E to O and more. (Air Force - all branches welcome to answer)

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

HELP! E to O and more. (Air Force - all branches welcome to answer)

Advertisements
    DH has been offered the opportunity to drop into an ROTC program, and go to college. They said he would recieve SSgt pay (E5), basically JUST to go to college and get a degree. Then he would go into officer training school, and come back in as an officer (obviously).

Has anyone's hubby done this?
    Have any of YOU done this?
    I need to be PLOWED with information. We only have a couple of months to make this choice. HELP, please.

If you, your s/o, or someone you know has done this program, or gone E to O, or you just like to research, please help.

Before they went E to O, were they "good" as enlisted, or kind of floundering?
    Was it a hard transition?
    Were they glad, in the end, they did it?
    Did they get less "chances" when it came down to having their grass mowed, etc?
    As a spouse, were there different expectations?
    Was it harder/easier being an officer's wife?
    Is there a significant difference in pay? (Yes, this is an honest question.)

Do you think this would be worth it? Could you ask your husbands/s.o's if they think it would be worth it?

Any information you have/could find would help SO much. I haven't even begun to Google this (don't worry, I'm on it, but repeat info is still info.)

I am personally, at this point, in high favor of the transition. DH is exactly, no sway at all, no question at all.. on the fence.

We seriously need help if you have time to Google. He's currently a Senior Airman (E4), would test for Staff in June (I'm not sure how long this program takes to process or if we'd still be "in" by June).

Is there a list online of ROTC colleges? Does anyone know if we'd still get a housing allowance if he did this program? (I obviously wasn't at the meeting with him, though I wish I could have been.)

The Airman Education and Commissioning Program (AECP)

That's the program he's looking at. Thanks SO much! I didn't know the name.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If you want to help, but don't know how, you're welcome to bump the everliving crap out of this thread. I need a billion opinions on this, positive and negative. PLEASE.

Officer's wives, now would be an awesome time to say whether you think it's worth it, too, even if your DH has never been enlisted.
  3. Senior Member
    I know in the Navy they still get a housing allowance while doing the equivalent program. I believe they get all the same benefits they would get if they were simply working. The school they can go to depends on what kind of degree they are getting and what they'll be doing as an officer (at least for the Navy). If it isn't specific they can usually go pretty much anywhere I think.

I only know that because DB wants to do it and my dad did it back in the day when it was a pretty different program. I personally think it'd be an amazing opportunity. You get paid to go to school...its your job. What better way to get a degree?

I don't know any of the other stuff but I thought I'd bump it for you anyway.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have no freaking clue whatsoever, but DH is in for the lifetime long haul so it would be good info to have on hand, too.

5. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijus View Post
    DH has been offered the opportunity to drop into an ROTC program, and go to college. They said he would recieve SSgt pay (E5), basically JUST to go to college and get a degree. Then he would go into officer training school, and come back in as an officer (obviously).

Has anyone's hubby done this?
    Have any of YOU done this?
    I need to be PLOWED with information. We only have a couple of months to make this choice. HELP, please.

If you, your s/o, or someone you know has done this program, or gone E to O, or you just like to research, please help.

Before they went E to O, were they "good" as enlisted, or kind of floundering?
    Was it a hard transition?
    Were they glad, in the end, they did it?
    Did they get less "chances" when it came down to having their grass mowed, etc?
    As a spouse, were there different expectations?
    Was it harder/easier being an officer's wife?
    Is there a significant difference in pay? (Yes, this is an honest question.)

Do you think this would be worth it? Could you ask your husbands/s.o's if they think it would be worth it?

Any information you have/could find would help SO much. I haven't even begun to Google this (don't worry, I'm on it, but repeat info is still info.)

I am personally, at this point, in high favor of the transition. DH is exactly, no sway at all, no question at all.. on the fence.

We seriously need help if you have time to Google. He's currently a Senior Airman (E4), would test for Staff in June (I'm not sure how long this program takes to process or if we'd still be "in" by June).

Is there a list online of ROTC colleges? Does anyone know if we'd still get a housing allowance if he did this program? (I obviously wasn't at the meeting with him, though I wish I could have been.)

I don't know much But i think it's a good idea! I'd like my DH to go officer, but he says he really likes the job he has know and prefers getting dirty

As for testing for ssgt... dh tested for ssgt may 5th and just found out last wed that he made it. You are given a line number and when your number comes up, you sew on ssgt... so we're line # 10000 so it'll be next summer probably before he sews it on.

Hope that helps some!!
  6. Senior Member
    I found this ...it sounds most similar to what your DH would be doing but there are also alot of other programs apparently.

The Airman Education and Commissioning Program (AECP) allows Airmen to remain on active duty and continue to receive an income while going to school full time to complete their bachelor's degree as an Air Force ROTC cadet. Their job is to go to school as a full-time college student. Airmen selected for AECP receive a tuition and fees scholarship for up to $15,000 per year, as well as a textbook allowance of $600 per year. Those selected may participate for up to three years, depending on their degree programs and previous academics. AECP is open only to specific majors, including nursing, meteorology, physics, math, most engineering majors and certain foreign language and foreign-area studies specialties. Applicants with a bachelor's degree in another field may apply to participate in AECP to earn a second bachelor's degree in one of the above-listed fields. Upon graduation, AECP cadets are commissioned as a second lieutenant with an active-duty service commitment of at least four years. To learn more, contact an Air Force Advisor.
    http://www.airforce.com/education/en...omPrograms.php

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I LOVE YOU!!!!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    i dont know much about going E to O, but dh went through ROTC and got his bachelors in history. He said he is glad he decided to get his education (and let the army pay for it).
    As far as going E to O i have nooo clue!

In the long run from what I understand he will get paid more as being an officer, but with that comes more responsibilities.
  9. Senior Member
    Or maybe this, since you said he was offered, and I'm pretty sure for the last one you had to apply:

Scholarships for Outstanding Airmen to ROTC (SOAR) are designed to nominate up to 50 people for ROTC scholarships, which pay most tuition and all fees. Military members will separate from the Air Force while earning a degree. SOARs are awarded for two to four years, depending on how many years you have remaining in your bachelor's degree program. Airmen with some or no college credit may apply for the program. Scholarships are awarded in a variety of fields, including technical (engineering, meteorology, architecture, etc.), non-technical, nursing, pre-health and foreign language areas. SOAR cadets are provided with a tuition and fees scholarship not to exceed a set amount each year. To learn more, contact an Air Force Advisor.

10. Banned
    Banned
    Dylan is now a member of the site, and I will PM this thread, he did ROTC.

Love you, Alexis.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast