Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the Fence (Reenlist or Separate)

1. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate

On the Fence (Reenlist or Separate)

Advertisements
    I have a question that I would like to get everyone's opinion on when it comes to Staying In or Getting Out. The reason that I am asking is that I heard a phrase used "Recruit the Sailor, Retain the Family" and I am curious about what it would take for the family to want their SO to stay in.

One of my questions deals with the recent approval of the MGIB and the possibility of the transfer option to family members. (If they can get around the legalities of it) Is this a benefit that would attract a family to have their SO to stay in the Military for 10 years?

The way I look at it is that while the spouse goes to school full time the SVM will be able to provide an income instead of getting out and not having or having a limited income to provide for the family making it difficult for everyone to get an education. Just my thought and look forward to other inputs.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Hisgirl; 08-21-2008 at 11:02 AM.
  2. Member
    ***, quit using *****'s account, LOL!
    Last edited by allbluezoo; 08-24-2008 at 11:51 PM.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    for us- it was the bennies- BAH ( a monthy loss of 1500 ) the free medical ( Blue cross would have cost us 600 a month) the decent dental, the 30 vaca days a yr and mostly the retirement- DH will retire in 6 yrs he will be 43.

as for education- there are so many grants and programs for both spouses and Members that anyone can return to college/ school to further thier education- that it was a non issue for us.
  4. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    The GI bill is not the reason we are on the fence about reenlisting. It's a great benefit and if it could get passed to a family member, I could definitely put it to use between the two of us and our educational goals.

The reason we are on the fence with reenlisting or not are the same things that gunsgirl mentioned. The only catch with us is that DF doesn't want to be Army. He wanted to go Navy at the end of this enlistment but was told he could only switch to Coast Guard as prior-Army. So... we're not sure yet and probably won't be sure until the very last minute.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    For us, the benifits were there already. Health care, housing, BAS, job security, getting to see parts of the world you never saw before. As for the education, If they ever trasfer it over that the military member can switch to the spouse (which I think it is in the works or you can do already) not a big deal for us. If I want to further my education, I have no problem paying for it myself. If it betters my life, then no cost is to great. Right now, not a want or need.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    If dh was at the 8 or 9 year mark NOW, i think that for us the new GI Bill would be a factor.
    before that our big concern was bennies. we sat down and looked at what we had to make vice what we realistically could make. and it was really a no brainer.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by torie. View Post
    The GI bill is not the reason we are on the fence about reenlisting. It's a great benefit and if it could get passed to a family member, I could definitely put it to use between the two of us and our educational goals.

The reason we are on the fence with reenlisting or not are the same things that gunsgirl mentioned. The only catch with us is that DF doesn't want to be Army. He wanted to go Navy at the end of this enlistment but was told he could only switch to Coast Guard as prior-Army. So... we're not sure yet and probably won't be sure until the very last minute.

he can still look at the CG- it is up to 14 yrs Prior enlisted.

DH has been CG for 14 yrs- if you or your DH has questions about the CG please feel free to ask.
  8. Senior Member
    Last edited by USNIwife; 09-09-2008 at 09:28 AM.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  9. Senior Member
    Im not really on the fence. Minus the deployments I like Army life & would love if he stayed in. I won't push it though if he wants to get out

By the time he could get out he'll be at 9½ years & he doesn't really see the point right now.
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

The healthcare, retirement and the rank he is already is what is keeping him in. He'll have 13 years in when this enlistment is over and we arent going to throw away the retirement when we're already more than halfway there. 2 - 3k retirement a month (depending on inflation by the time he retires) just for breathing, on top of a civilian job is well worth it to us.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast