Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: NC wives/girlfriends/fiances?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

NC wives/girlfriends/fiances?

Advertisements
    My hubby told me he is thinking about cross-rating to NC. He is an AT right now.

I was just wondering for those that have a SO who is a NC, what is it like?
    What are the hours like? What about orders? Does your SO like the rate? Do you? What are the Pros and Cons to NC?

TIA
  2. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate

Yes

My DH is an NC and loves it. He was a fixed wing AW prior to his conversion and has no regrets. He says there are definately pros and cons he can discuss them with him.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    He has been working with a chief that is a NC. Apparently, he likes what he has been told by him. He hasn't really told me much though so I'm pretty lost at to what we would be getting into if he did cross rate.

He is up for orders next month so he started to look just to see what is currently out there. He doesn't really like what his options are. It didn't help that he was told since he is a RDC he has to pick at least 1 order that has Iraq attached to it. And the advancement rate for AT1s to ATC isn't helping either. Apparently, not 1 AT made cheif up here this year. We only know 2 that made it and for the one it was his last time up to make chief. Now he has to re-enlist just to get paid for it.

What kind of hours does your hubby put in? While on push John would leave here around 5 a.m. and get back here around 10:30 p.m. 7 days a week.

What about orders? I know nothing about orders for them. Are there only certain places they can go? Do they get to "choose" or make a dream sheet?
  4. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate

Hello

**THIS IS COMING FROM DH***
    The hours for an NC can vary. A first term NC can put in a lot of hours ensuring that his programs are up to speed and there is a lot to learn about the job that you don't learn by doing OJT and the NC School. I work pretty decent hours for being on Sea Duty. I work somewhere around 8-9 hours a day in port and about 12 hours a day at Sea. The thing that I like is that you really get to take care of your Sailors. Somewhat like an RDC but on a more personal and constant basis. The third thing that I like about it is I am working independent meaning I am the only NC onboard my ship. This is good and bad meaning if something goes wrong you are the only one who was there but you get a lot of recognition if you are a decent NC. There are a lot of terrible NC's out there who ruin careers based upon not being thorough. Another thing that I like is having a small Chain of Command. it goes from me to the CMC to the CO. I have no middle men and it's a pretty powerful thing. The one thing that I do not like is that Sailors sometime try and do stuff they are not eligible for or try and have their Chief's or DIVO's try to strong arm you but then that's why it's great to work for the CMC.

Orders, there are a lot of good orders out there. It just depends on what and where you want to go. Most likely he would end up in the Surface Navy for his first tour but that is something he can work out with the Detailer.

Advancement isn't really anything to brag about. This cycle was 15 percent but it has been ranging up to 28 percent.

I hope this helps for now.
    Last edited by Hisgirl; 08-19-2008 at 06:36 PM.
  5. Senior Member
    Berkely is in NC. They are at Pope AFB
    Jayo is down there
    Loretta is down there

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  6. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by USNIwife View Post
    Berkely is in NC. They are at Pope AFB
    Jayo is down there
    Loretta is down there
    LOL, I think she is talking about rating conversions to the NC rating.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you to your hubby. That was great info. I really appreciate it.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My hubby just crossrated in June. He is at his first command as an NC and it's a big job, since he is on his own. He's been at the command for a month now and he's been bringing work home becuase the last NC didn't know is ass from his elbow, as evidence of the huge mess he left behinde. But once everything gets cleaned up and straightend out, Im sure it's going to get better. He's happy becuase he helping people, and Im happy becuase hes happy. I agree with everything the NC above posted, that about sums it up. Good luck!!
  9. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Quote Originally Posted by pennylayne View Post
    He's been at the command for a month now and he's been bringing work home becuase the last NC didn't know is ass from his elbow, as evidence of the huge mess he left behinde. But once everything gets cleaned up and straightend out, Im sure it's going to get better.
    Was your DH on the Ingraham? My DH was deployed in the same group this past year. He said that the NC on that ship use to email him a lot during deployment asking for help and felt bad for him. He remember being in Bahrain and the NC came over 5 times during the Port Visit. Where is he at now if not on the Ingraham?

**edited because I take it your DH just got to the Ingraham, sounds like that ship needed him!!
    Last edited by Hisgirl; 08-19-2008 at 08:54 PM.