Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub IDC School

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sub IDC School

Advertisements
    Well, we should be going up to Groton so my DH can attend Sub IDC School in October or it could be February depending on when his package gets submitted. Since this will be a whole new experience for us I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on the school, area, and on what to expect during and after school. I look forward to hearing from everyone! Thanks!!
  2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USNwifey03 View Post
    Well, we should be going up to Groton so my DH can attend Sub IDC School in October or it could be February depending on when his package gets submitted. Since this will be a whole new experience for us I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on the school, area, and on what to expect during and after school. I look forward to hearing from everyone! Thanks!!

My DH is surface IDC but is being "stalked" for Sub IDC school. I can't help on the SUB part but I can tell ya IDC school was like a deployment with laundry, LOL! Class all day, home for dinner and then off again to study. He'd come home well after I was in bed and be gone before I was up with the kids the next morning...just dirty clothes left behind What I have heard from other Sub wives is long periods of no contact, etc. Welcome to our little IDC community!
  3. Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    okay, DH has been on subs pretty much since we met so that stuff i might be able to help with. i have no clue what IDC is though. DH taught at subschool for shore duty a few years ago (and a few friends' DHs teach there now), but i'm guessing IDC school is something different since for regular C school they don't usually allow spouses to move out here. :duno
  4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taraw226 View Post
    okay, DH has been on subs pretty much since we met so that stuff i might be able to help with. i have no clue what IDC is though. DH taught at subschool for shore duty a few years ago (and a few friends' DHs teach there now), but i'm guessing IDC school is something different since for regular C school they don't usually allow spouses to move out here. :duno
    IDC is Independent Duty Corpsman. Sub IDC school is to be stationed on a sub The students have to go through BESS and NUMI for underwater medical training. DH is a surface corpsman...we don't do boats though; he sticks with the Marines LOL!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Big Grin

Yes, IDC stands for "independent duty corpsman" the marine's know then as "doc". But we are going to be on subs with the navy, not surface with the marines. I'm having a hard time finding info. out about the school and being a spouse but I know that there are lots of other people out there that know about being a spouse to someone on a sub. Any info. on what life is like being married to a submariner and on what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to those who have given a bit of info. and look forward to getting to know you all more!
  6. Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    well as far as sub life goes, it's really unpredictable for the most part. they have "schedules", but they can change a lot. i don't have experience with tridents (boomers) or the SSBNs, so what i say is in reference to my experience with fast attacks.

deployments are usually around 6 months and there are a ton of underways and workups in between deployments. the underways can range from a few days to a few months.

communication isn't super reliable. they have email, but can't access it all the time so you may go awhile without getting any (and then get a bunch at once). so far the longest i've gone without getting any emails is around 4 weeks. also, the emails ARE seen by other people. you send them, they're scanned for keywords (and possibly read if they're flagged), then they're sent to the boat where it's possible for them to be read again.

the only phone calls are when they stop in port. every once in awhile they may do a swim call so if people have cell phones (and they work where ever they are) they might be able to call then, but i've only had that happen twice i think.

DH was pretty good friends with the last doc on the boat, but i don't know too much about how things are for them. i don't *think* they have to stand duty, but i think he had a pager and was basically on call 24/7 in case someone gets hurt/sick/etc. that all may depend on the command though.

hope that helped at least a little lol.
  7. Member
    there is only an IDC on a sub; no other medical personnel. The IDC is on call 24/7 but does not stand duty To be surface force IDC qualifies you to be on a surface ship; you also have to have the FMF designator to be w/the Marines. I know if DH went to Sub school it would be unaccompanied..are your orders accompanied or un-accompanied?
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allbluezoo View Post
    there is only an IDC on a sub; no other medical personnel. The IDC is on call 24/7 but does not stand duty To be surface force IDC qualifies you to be on a surface ship; you also have to have the FMF designator to be w/the Marines. I know if DH went to Sub school it would be unaccompanied..are your orders accompanied or un-accompanied?
    Orders will be accompanied because the school is over 1 year long. He will technically be attached to that base and we will not return to the base we are currently stationed at, which is a Marine base. Also, in regards to Surface IDC, I believe you have to have the FMF designator before you can attend school. But I know you don't have to have it for Sub Surface IDC because they don't travel with the Marines. As for the 24/7 duty it will be like when DH worked in the ER when we were in Italy! Talk about crazy hours and never being able to plan a trip! We did it then and I believe we will be able to do now! Thanks for the info!!!
  9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USNwifey03 View Post
    Orders will be accompanied because the school is over 1 year long. He will technically be attached to that base and we will not return to the base we are currently stationed at, which is a Marine base. Also, in regards to Surface IDC, I believe you have to have the FMF designator before you can attend school. But I know you don't have to have it for Sub Surface IDC because they don't travel with the Marines. As for the 24/7 duty it will be like when DH worked in the ER when we were in Italy! Talk about crazy hours and never being able to plan a trip! We did it then and I believe we will be able to do now! Thanks for the info!!!
    actually you don't have to have the FMF designator to attend school; of course it is frowned upon but it is not a requirement. Typically if you don't have it your first stop out of school is to get FMF qualified..joy! I think you are confusing my word surface to mean surface ship; when in fact it means general surface (8425) (land or ship) just not sub My DH is a surface/FMF IDC (8425/8404) meaning he is qualified on a surface ship and the green side. It gets so technical with all the acronyms and numbers I swear!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    See, I thought that a surface IDC only went green side and not on ships. So that's why you would need the FMF designator. I didn't know that surface covered ships as well. Thank you for the clarification. But, since DH is going sub I really don't have to worry about all that FMF surface stuff too much. I look forward to hearing more about sub surface IDC life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast