Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frequent TDY

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Confused Frequent TDY

Advertisements
    Anyone have an SO who has a job with frequent TDY/deployments? Dh is going to be a flight engineer on AWACS and they deploy for 4 months and then have lag time in the middle. Over time though that seems like a lot of "goodbyes" kwim?

How do you other ladies handle this?

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Like I said before, Bryan has only deployed three times in 8 years... It just goes in spurts. It won't be as often as you think. I promise. It is hard when they deploy, and it takes time, but you learn how to handle it. The biggest helper for me is having a support system like friends and sos.
  3. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Like I said before, Bryan has only deployed three times in 8 years... It just goes in spurts. It won't be as often as you think. I promise. It is hard when they deploy, and it takes time, but you learn how to handle it. The biggest helper for me is having a support system like friends and sos.
    thread stalker!

just kidding. yeah....i know. it just scares me. when he worked in the missile field the longest i'd go without seeing him was like a week. tech school was the worst for 5 months, but even then i flew to see him almost every month. it's just something new....AGAIN. to add on to the already new life.

and i know other girls go for so much longer but that really doesn't comfort me in the least.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I do.

My husband goes out for 2 months, then home for a monthish, sometimes less, sometimes more.....he averages being gone about 250 days a year. It SEEMED like a good idea at the time to take the duty, but it's really worn us down. And we don't have a schedule really.....last year a 2 month det turned into 7 months!! This year he went out for 2 months, came home for a week and went out again.....he SWEARS he'll be home longer, but I just don't count on that anymore.
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marie View Post
    Anyone have an SO who has a job with frequent TDY/deployments? Dh is going to be a flight engineer on AWACS and they deploy for 4 months and then have lag time in the middle. Over time though that seems like a lot of "goodbyes" kwim?

How do you other ladies handle this?
    Dh was gone a lot when he was a FE on C-130's and we were told that when he became a nav on AC-130's that he wouldn't be doing the TDY's that he did before, but so far that info was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong! He's been gone quite a bit TDY in the past year. I guess I just look forward to him coming home and the 'hello' sex that comes with it . I've heard via the grapevine that AWACs don't spend a lot of time off station, they just burn holes in the sky and then come home... I don't know how accurate that is though. I would have D call his new squadron and ask for the Engineer Shop and talk to someone there... they would probably give the most accurate info for ya! (It's been my dh's experience that guys in the gaining shop are usually more than happy to talk to an incoming troop about their job and the area)
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Tell your DH that I would be happy to give him our number, if he wants call DH to talk to someone else in AWACS. DH would be happy to answer any questions you guys might have.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by brentscrystal View Post
    Dh was gone a lot when he was a FE on C-130's and we were told that when he became a nav on AC-130's that he wouldn't be doing the TDY's that he did before, but so far that info was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong! He's been gone quite a bit TDY in the past year. I guess I just look forward to him coming home and the 'hello' sex that comes with it . I've heard via the grapevine that AWACs don't spend a lot of time off station, they just burn holes in the sky and then come home... I don't know how accurate that is though. I would have D call his new squadron and ask for the Engineer Shop and talk to someone there... they would probably give the most accurate info for ya! (It's been my dh's experience that guys in the gaining shop are usually more than happy to talk to an incoming troop about their job and the area)
    Eh.. that's not entirely true. DH is in AWACS... They actually have a pretty high deployment rate, BUT the way they split it up between squadrons makes it pretty fair. As individuals, they might not deploy very often, but as a whole, they deploy a lot. They do a lot of things called "tail swaps", where they take planes to destinations overseas and swap them out with another. Those usually only last about a week. They don't have to do those a whole, whole lot. 90% of the time, they will just be burning holes in the sky for 8-12 hour flights though. Dh only flys about once a month though. The rest of the time, he is in an office.. working 7:30-4:30. It's pretty nice.
  8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Eh.. that's not entirely true. DH is in AWACS... They actually have a pretty high deployment rate, BUT the way they split it up between squadrons makes it pretty fair. As individuals, they might not deploy very often, but as a whole, they deploy a lot. They do a lot of things called "tail swaps", where they take planes to destinations overseas and swap them out with another. Those usually only last about a week. They don't have to do those a whole, whole lot. 90% of the time, they will just be burning holes in the sky for 8-12 hour flights though. Dh only flys about once a month though. The rest of the time, he is in an office.. working 7:30-4:30. It's pretty nice.
    What job does your dh do? Is he an engineer too? Just curious!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by brentscrystal View Post
    What job does your dh do? Is he an engineer too? Just curious!
    He is a radio operator... everyone makes fun of AWACS because when they work, they work hard, but when they aren't flying... they play video games all day!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ok.. I just asked DH. He said that each squadron deploys every 18 months. HOWEVER, there are 6 crews in each squadron, and they rotate crews with each deployement. So, your husband shouldn't have to deploy very often
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast