Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Separating from the Navy

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Separating from the Navy

Advertisements
    I didn't know where else to put this, so I stuck it here.

My husband is separating from the Navy in January. January 4th be exact I am nervous as hell, to be honest. He's only been in for 6 years, so it was now or never for him. He knows he doesn't want to make it a career. He made rank really fast and he's good at his job, but he's sick of a lot of the BS. Can't blame the guy, really. I KNOW we'll be fine. I just didn't realize how much of a "safety net" the military can provide. The medical insurance, the pay, etc.

He is going to finish his degree and work when he gets out. The GI Bill is going to be a huge lifesaver for us since they upped the amount and will pay BAH while you're in school. That gives him a little more flexibility when it comes to the amount of hours he has to work.

After he separates, we'll stay here for another 6-7 months so I can finish out my school year teaching, then we plan on moving back home to Florida. He'll have his AS degree in January, so he'll only have about 2 years of school left after that. Before we move he has decided to get his IT certifications (which will take 6 months of school) and work a full time job. He's looking into some different things right now, since he'll only be there for 6-7 month. So, when we get to Florida he will be working in the IT field since he'll have his certifications, and finish his BA degree so he will have more job opportunities later on down the road.

He's done with the Navy. D-O-N-E, stick a fork in him! He doesn't want to do reserves, or reenlist, even for 2 more years. He would rotate to shore duty and more than likely get sent to Iraq for a year. He doesn't want to be away from home anymore, which is part of the reason he is separating. Trust me, that was my first thought. Do two more years on shore, finish your degree and we'll save up more money....it sounds better than it would be. He HATES his job. Not the Navy, just his job. He's tired of the BS, tired of babysitting grown men, and he's bored with what he does. He hates going to work everyday. So he wants to cut all ties when he gets out. We have money saved up, I'm not really worried about that, even though it is a nagging thought with the economy as shitty as it is.

Anyhow, I wanted to hear some stories from the people on here that separated. We have our ducks in a row, or at least I feel like we do, and we have money saved up, but I'm still nervous.

What did your SO do while he was in the Navy (what was his job)?

What kind of job did he get once he got out?

Why did he/she get out?

What was the hardest part of separating from the military?

What advice do you have for people in our shoes?
    Last edited by MichelleB; 08-06-2008 at 07:48 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Good luck. Our situation wasn't the norm so I can't help much.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks!
  4. ash
    i love the red sox
    i love the red sox
    Blog Entries
    Good luck, chica! I am sure it will all be just fine since you can teach still when you move home
    this is like a bad movie, and i'd give it a 5 on my netflix
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Good luck, chica! I am sure it will all be just fine since you can teach still when you move home
    Thanks Ash!!! I am thankful for my job, that's for sure. I love it, but it will also be our saving grace if for some odd reason he can't find a good job.

But if he does the IT thing, he'll be fine I'm sure.
  6. Senior Member
    What did your SO do while he was in the Navy (what was his job)? Well dh wasnt navy he was Marines but he did Air Traffic Control

What kind of job did he get once he got out? I'm going to be honest, for us it was very very hard for him to find a job once he had gotten out. He wanted to do ATC but you need a federal resume and those are very expensive and didnt have that kind of money at the time so he just got a regular job at a pharmacutical company until then but he always had it in his mind to switch branches and go into the AF which we will be doing in October

Why did he/she get out? his contract was up

What was the hardest part of separating from the military? For us it was not knowing what we were going to do, if he would find a job right away. He was in Japan so it was hard for him to look for jobs. Money and a baby on the way makes things a little complicated. Just knowing that he was civilian again and that things were different than it was in the military was pretty hard.

What advice do you have for people in our shoes? Save your money, see if he can start looking at jobs ASAP, that way you arent struggling financially like we were (my parents are lifesavers).

Good luck to you both and I wish you the best!!!
    Mommy's Little Monkey Mommy's Little Princess
  7. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I hope you get all the info you are looking for.
  8. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    What did your SO do while he was in the Navy (what was his job)? He was an ET... did communications (ie worked on the radios, etc.)

What kind of job did he get once he got out? DOD... systems administrator

Why did he/she get out? Wanted to do something else, start his career in a diff field.

What was the hardest part of separating from the military? I miss the commy

What advice do you have for people in our shoes? Don't stress too much. You and your husband are both intelligent, financially smart people. You will make it just fine
  9. Senior Member
    might wanna take a TAP class they are helpful (offered on base I believe??) call the FFSC

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by USNIwife View Post
    might wanna take a TAP class they are helpful (offered on base I believe??) call the FFSC
    He did that a few weeks ago. Got all the good info and everything.

We're just in the advanced planning stages now. Working out our game plan and everything.

Thanks!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast