Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avaition Electrician/Gunnersmate

1. Senior Member

Help Avaition Electrician/Gunnersmate

Advertisements
    My DH is changing rates. These two are available to him and he is going to look into them. Any ladies with SO's or family in these rates with any info please share

I am really excited for him, because he hates the rate he is in now. He is particularly interested in AE anyone know how long the school(s) are for it? Pros cons?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My husband is an AT, which is almost the same thing as an AE. His best friend is one though. I have no clue about the school but I can ask him when he gets home.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
    My husband is an AT, which is almost the same thing as an AE. His best friend is one though. I have no clue about the school but I can ask him when he gets home.
    You Rock !
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I know that for sea duty they can only be on a carrier. So for what it's worth your duty stations are some what limited. My husband said his A-school was around 7 months, but it could be a little shorter for AE's. C-school was around 14 weeks total, but again could differ slightly for AE's. He's going to talk to his BFF at lunch and get more info for you.

My husband asked what rank and rate he is now (insert mumbo jumbo Navy speak here that I don't understand). There's a reason though
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    AE/AT are real close in what they do. My DH is an AT and loves his job.
    Consider what has the best advancement combined with what would give him the best opportunitities on the outside as well.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by flangl18 View Post
    AE/AT are real close in what they do. My DH is an AT and loves his job.
    Consider what has the best advancement combined with what would give him the best opportunitities on the outside as well.
    I agree. There are A LOT of people in this rate. After a certain point the advancement rate drops because they have so many people trying to move up.
  7. Senior Member

Go AE... I was an AE in the Navy. I never went to A school, though. I struck for the rate because I came in as undesignated. The PRO is even if your dh is on sea duty if he is with a squadron they are land based and go out when the carrier goes out. It is true that you are limited on your base choices but you have different choices than the rest of the Navy like Spain.
    AE's are known as wire chasers and when there are gripes the AE's are usually called first then they figure out if it's something else for another shop to work on. AE' and AT's are close but AT's work on more specific equipment and AE's are general electronics.
  8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I know that for sea duty they can only be on a carrier. So for what it's worth your duty stations are some what limited. My husband said his A-school was around 7 months, but it could be a little shorter for AE's. C-school was around 14 weeks total, but again could differ slightly for AE's. He's going to talk to his BFF at lunch and get more info for you.

My husband asked what rank and rate he is now (insert mumbo jumbo Navy speak here that I don't understand). There's a reason though
    not true AE's can be stationed with squadrons and actually there is no real job as an AE on the ship. So most of his career will be squadron based.
    AE rotation is 3/3 and A school is just under 6 months. I don't remember DH having a C-school.
    All of our commands have been with squadrons with the exception of recruiting. hth PM if you want more info on AE's.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

TK

AE's aren't always on carriers when you deploy. Frigates and destroyers can have a squadron det on them. You could also be ship's company as an AE. According to DH's friend "it sucks monkey balls", but he was always at a squadron before.

Good luck in which ever rate your DH goes with!
  10. Senior Member
    Well my dad was a gunnersmate and DB is an AE. I really would recommend the AE job though for the reasons that the people before me stated. DB enjoys it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast