Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: NUB Hazing

1. PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    PACK YOUR BAGS!!!

NUB Hazing

Advertisements
    So my hubby is getting ready to join his new boat and we keep hearing really bad rumors about how horrible hazing is. Supposedly there are guys physically abusing the new guys when they get to the boat. My DH will be fresh from surgery when he joins and I am kind of worried about something happening to him. Can you ladies maybe tell alittle about your DH's experience's or anything you may know about this.
    You are worth taking on the world...

No More Ticker...HE IS HOME
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Never heard of it. My husband has been to 2 different carriers and never experienced anything close to what you're talking about.

As far as I know hazing is illegal in the military.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    my hubby said the only instance was one guy who was big into it and my hubby shut him down by not playing his games. i dunno though
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    hazing is illegal period. DH used to 'haze' others but only those that wanted to be and never anything physical ( like beating down). Like when they made rank one guy made a big stink that he didn't want anyone 'tacking the crow on' so no one touched him, but others who were ok with it got 'tacked on'

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    well tacking on the crow is one thing, but having like 4 or 5 guys beating the crap out of one new guy is just to much. Does anyone know anything about the USS Miami?
    You are worth taking on the world...

No More Ticker...HE IS HOME
  6. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    DH has never been hazed when joining any command, ship or squadron. They do get lightly "hazed" if you could call it that, in the crossing the line ceremony.

If your husband values his career then I would tell him to stay away from it and never do it to another Sailor because all it takes is one person to complain. Just remember it's not the Navy of the old where it use to be tolerated.
    Last edited by Hisgirl; 07-21-2008 at 08:07 PM.
  7. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

According to my dh and his 26 years and 10 different commands he never witnessed any hazing per sae.....wog to shellback, yes, having a little fun, yes but anyone getting beat up.....no.

Found this bit of info:

In mid-April 2006 seven Columbus crewmen were charged with a variety of offenses, including assault, dereliction of duty, and hazing, for alleged attacks on two of their shipmates. The accused range from a petty officer third class (E-4) to a senior chief (E-8)[1]. A complete report on the situation was completed on 30 May. On 13 June, the Navy announced the dismissal of Columbus's commanding officer, Commander Charles Marquez because of concerns about his "ability to establish and maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct, provide the crew a safe, positive, professional environment in which to work, and maintain good order and discipline. "[2][3] Captain Brian McIlvaine, former commanding officer of USS Ohio (SSBN-726), replaced Marquez temporarily. After a few months in command CAPT McIlvaine was replaced with CDR James Doody.

There was also incidents on two Norfolk based ships in 1996.

So I'm guessing it's not usual occurrence.......