Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Reverse cross train?

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Confused Reverse cross train?

Advertisements
    Ugh. This is a long story i don't know where to start.

Here it goes....short sweet and to the point.
    Dh is deathly afraid of water. We're talking serious. He hates being in it, he hates swimming, he just doesn't like it. He almost drown twice as a kid (we're talking cpr and shit drown) Anyway, he wanted to re-enlist in his current field (missiles) but they weren't taking more so he had to cross train to stay in. he got sent into flight engineer which had to pass a water portion. he passed. then they switched him to helo FE. well that includes the dunk tank and he freaked. he failed. he came back and went to swimming lessons to try and kick it before he had to try the tank again. He sucked at swimming.
    The missile shop wants him back. He wants to stay. And there is a 99% chance they'll say "fine just stay where you are" but there is a 0.05% they will also tell him too bad and do it or a 0.05% they can kick him out for disobeying orders. Which he isn't. He's trying to work through this.

But in typical military fashion no one person controls the whole ordeal and no one knows anything of who to talk to. They only know their portion of the job.

I'm really scared because he's planned on being a lifer. I'm not sure what he'd do if he was out, plus we wouldn't have Tricare or anything anymore.

Does anyone know about these things? It seems like this is new to everyone and it sucks not knowing. Can they really kick him out?

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Hey girl, I really do not know. I would imagine that since he has already been through quite a bit of training for this new job that it would not be as easy as having the old shop take him back. Also, someone would have to write him orders back to the shop, right? Otherwise if he didn't show up at his training he would be AWOL, which sounds like is what you are worried about.

Maybe he could try talking to the career counselor? That is who helped my DH get his retraining stuff in order. He might have an idea about what's going on.
  3. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by leiawen View Post
    Hey girl, I really do not know. I would imagine that since he has already been through quite a bit of training for this new job that it would not be as easy as having the old shop take him back. Also, someone would have to write him orders back to the shop, right? Otherwise if he didn't show up at his training he would be AWOL, which sounds like is what you are worried about.

Maybe he could try talking to the career counselor? That is who helped my DH get his retraining stuff in order. He might have an idea about what's going on.
    thanks missy. i'll tell him to go check it out. worth a shot anyway.

4. Senior Member
    Has he already went through his new tech school or is that what he is doing now?

If he is currently doing tech school again then he needs to talk to the NCIOC of his group and let him know 1.)about his fear and reason for the fear 2.) His outstanding work ethic, shown by his carrerer thus far and 3.) His deep commitment to the AF. They will have to reclassify his to another carrerer field. Technically, they can kick him out for not passing, but if he has done well so far and this is truly a fear not something made up her can get through it. He needs to stay on top of it with the SNCIOC though, to make sure that the higher ups know where he is coming from and how he is addressing the situation. My DH was a tech school teacher so we have seen students get reclassified for a real fear and others get kicked out for faking it.

I'm sorry it's so hard right now