Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: SERE AF Survival School

1. Senior Member

SERE AF Survival School

Advertisements
    Please let me know if your SO has gone through the SERE and how they came out? My DS is going this month and I am extremely nervous. I know that it is just a mother concerned. I am not letting him know because I can tell he is nervous enough. I just wanted to ask what all of your thoughts are and if there were any effects on your SO. Thanks.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Dh has never been, but he knows many that have. It's pretty hard from what I hear, but most of the people that he knows thinks that it's better to have gone through it, instead of being unprepared. I'm sure he will be fine. Good luck.
  3. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Oh my God sweetie I understand completely! Hubby just got out of AF SERE in April. I was so nervous I was almost sick. A lot of the specifics I don't know because they aren't allowed to disclose them....but for the most part all i got out of it was that it sucked, it was hard, but he did it. He came out knowing a lot of good info and I think a stronger person for the things he went through.

As for being the one at home and worrying "What are they doing to him now?" ........i can tell you more. When they did their survival stint out in the woods and I didn't hear from him for days I was so scared. It was still late winter and he was in the mountains freezing. That is all I thought about. But he turned out ok. The worst part was the POW trainging. I was so scared I cried on the phone to him. It may sound lame but I have a very vivid imagination of what they could/would do to him. Like I said, I don't know much of what they did. He said it wasn't that bad.

Since he's been home i've gotten a bit more details but not much. I still have no idea what really happened but he said it wasn't as easy as he made it sound to me cause he knew i'd freak. Which i did even without truly knowing.

Anyway....this is a novel of a post...sorry....it turned out ok. He did just fine. He's not crazy or anything and he lived to tell the tale.

Although i will say that right after POW camp he was a bit He had nightmares for a while and was tired for weeks. I don't know. But he's back to his normal weird ass self.

You'll be fine. PM me if you want to talk/vent/or what have you. I know how it is.

4. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    another note.......i tried to be the same as you and not let him know how nervous I was. He was nervous enough like you said, i didn't want to add to it.

but i will say (and this has nothing to really do with the school) but he took my picture out to the woods and to POW camp with him. They weren't supposed to have anything with them but he snuck it in. He said it was the best thing and made it easier.