Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advancement "rule book"

1. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!

advancement "rule book"

Advertisements
    is there a book regarding the guidelines with Navy advancement (for petty officers in particular)?? If so, is there a separate one for reservists?

DH is having issues with his stupid reserve center refusing to let him take the E-6 exam- they give him all sorts of excuses. The latest one has really set off DH - so we want to find out of his dumb command is lying or just making excuses.

thanks.

2. Cookie Queen
    Cookie Queen
    I thought they were required to test, twice a year in fact. That's for active duty though, not sure how reserves work.
  3. Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    Reserves is different for advancement and there is a different regulation. Hmm...
  4. Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    Look in the OPNAV... I am trying to find the exact publication... but OPNAV is where I am starting
  5. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    I thought they were required to test, twice a year in fact. That's for active duty though, not sure how reserves work.

theres certain rules- like you have to be in the rate & rank for so long- if not you have to have an eval with an early promote... you have to be at certain standards.

I'm trying to find out those standards.. and to be more specific I'm trying to find out for reserves how long he has to be in his current rank - and if he doesn't meet that time line how many EPs or MPs he must have - and how it works for crossing from AD to Reserves.

I really don't think theres anything out there, I think they're BSing him around (this is the worse reserve center!) - I just want to make sure for DH before he goes up his chain asking for proof that these pre-qualifications are written in the "rule book"
    he's already talked to his LPO who says he CAN test but the guy who orders the test & that guy's chief say 1- he hasn't been in the reserves long enough (which should matter since he just came from Active Duty) AND 2- he hasn't been in his current rank long enough - even though he has 2 EPs from AD & 1 MP from the reserves. By AD standards, he would have been able to take it last cycle - the reserve center BSed their way out of letting him take it though.
    OH and I'm also trying to figure out if he can take it if he's on a medical hold.
    I hope that made sense!!

THANK YOU all so much!! I hope theres something out there..

6. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockosMaid View Post
    Look in the OPNAV... I am trying to find the exact publication... but OPNAV is where I am starting
    i briefly looked- just by keyword search.. didnt find anything. probably wasn't searching right. i'll have DH look when he gets home. too time consuming with a 2 year old tugging at my arm

7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i found this
    Advancement in the Navy Reserve
    Advancement for Navy Reservists follows the same guidelines as active duty—ample opportunity exists
    and hard work is rewarded.
    Typically, enlisted Navy Reservists perform training, attend schools and take exams in order to
    advance. Advancement is based on time-in-grade, advancement test results, ability and the needs of
    the Navy and Navy Reserve. You may also request a direct conversion to another rating if you qualify.
    Another resource for advancement and promotion information is the Navy Advancement Center.
    Training courses are available to help Navy Reservists reach their goals. Your local Navy Reserve
    Recruiter can provide more detail
    here: http://www.navyreserve.com/media/pdf/ps_brochure.pdf

still looking.. oh and that came from the brochure that they hand at the recruiters office

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    and i found this, but i didn't really read thru it because i can never make heads or tails of it.. but it could help you in the right direction
    http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres...0/NAV07214.txt

and this
    http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/E...veAdvancement/

I will miss you SOS...

9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i keep seeing this...
    Enlisted Advancement and Promotions
    Advancement for Sailors in the Naval Reserve follows the same procedure as promotion for active duty Sailors. Enlisted Reservists perform training, attend schools, and take exams in order to advance in rank. The Navy Advancement Center provides advancement in rate products and information. Advancement depends on the needs of the Navy, the Reservist's ability and time-in-grade, plus a passing mark on the advancement test (Training courses are available to help Reservists get ahead faster). Reservists may also request a direct conversion to another rating without an examination, if they're qualified for that rating.

I will miss you SOS...

10. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    ok, I just talked to DH and he said if they didn't calculate his time right or he signed something with his wrong time in then that is why they are telling him that. He also said that sometimes your time in rate starts over when you go from active to reserves. but the rules are generally the same. so he just needs to see what they have down as his time in.

I will miss you SOS...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast