Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Thoughts? Wisdom of the AF?

1. Senior Member

Question Thoughts? Wisdom of the AF?

Advertisements
    Since DH is Army, I don't know how this stuff works.

Since his injury requires surgery, there have been whispers of medical discharge. DH and I have only touched briefly on the subject of my enlisting AD Air Force, IF this happens. I would do it now, but we're not too keen on the tightrope act of dual-military.

I got "bit" by the military bug in high school. I went through JROTC (Army). I took the ASVAB back then. Scored really well. Gave a lot of serious thought to going in while I was in college. 9/11 left me wishing I were enlisted.

We have no children. I would LOVE to travel--get the hell outta this area. I don't want to touch on the patriotic spirit that I know that it takes b/c I don't want to say the wrong thing and get pounced. More or less though, I always end up thinking too hard and not doing. In the last two years, both DH and my brother enlisted. Now that I'm more familiar with what's on the other side of that "wall," I'm not so ignorant and fearful of regret. I am spinning my wheels here--and going nuts.

As much as I fear it sounds fickle and fleeting, I wouldn't post it in here if it were. It would be in the general forum. I know a choice like this takes a lot of thought/commitment.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I'd say, look into it, talk to your DH about it, and if the medical discharge goes through,it sounds like it might be a good option for you. You sound like you have done your research
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leiawen View Post
    I'd say, look into it, talk to your DH about it, and if the medical discharge goes through,it sounds like it might be a good option for you. You sound like you have done your research
    Hey, thanks! I totally thought this thread was going unanswered.
  4. Purpur
    you seem like you've thought about it for a while, so it's def. an option to consider.
    But there are always whispers of a medical discharge when someone has to have surgery. *shrugs*
  5. Senior Member
    Even dual military Army/Air Force isn't too bad... We have friends stationed in Germany and Italy who are dual and different branches... Other than that DH LOVES the Air Force... It's nice, quaint, they really do try to take care of their own etc etc... Do what's best for the two of you.
  6. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    Other than that DH LOVES the Air Force... It's nice, quaint, they really do try to take care of their own etc etc... Do what's best for the two of you.

And if this is something you've wanted to do or thought of for a while, it is obviously not just on a whim. Talk to your DH about it. Sounds like it could be a good thing for you two.

I thought about the Guard, and I suppose I still think of it sometimes. But i'm really getting into that "home-y" mode and want kids and such. I think that is one thing that might be hard if you're both in. But people do it, so don't let that discourage you if it is something you want.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesbelugas View Post
    you seem like you've thought about it for a while, so it's def. an option to consider.
    But there are always whispers of a medical discharge when someone has to have surgery. *shrugs*
    Good to know. We're a Reserves couple, so we don't get exposed to all the rumors and which ones are common. I'll pass this info along to hubby.