Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlisted to Officer Questions

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Enlisted to Officer Questions

Advertisements
    So Ryan has about a 15 months left and we are pretty much dead set on getting out, but we want to thoroughly look at all the options before us.

So I have a bunch of Officer questions...

1. They don't get bonuses, right? What happens if he reenlists, gets a bonus, and then puts in his package and is accepted a year or two later?

2. He already will have his degree (Bachelor's) by the time he would put in his package--what options does he take then to become an Officer?

3. What are some of the perks? We know of the pay, BAH, and housing.. but what else? We are trying to punch numbers for civilian jobs vs. enlisted jobs vs being an Officer vs. DOD jobs.

4. How does the rank transition work? He is an FC and his degree will be in Management, so what "job" would/could he do as an Officer?

5. Is OCS the only schooling they go to?

6. Do Officers do IA's?

7. It doesn't change anything with the EFM program, does it? Can Riley and I still stay here in SD while he goes to school and/or if he is sent somewhere else? Does EFM help keep him here too? (Category 5)

8. Is it true that you can't pick orders anymore, and that you are just "sent" where they need you?

9. Will he have to use his GI Bill for any other schooling he may need (if he needs a Master or other upper level degree?)

10. Ryan said something about a a bonus each year after being in for three years? Any idea what he was talking about?

11. If he were accepted, and already had his degree, and is an E-6 right now, what would that "transfer" over to?

I'm sure there will be more...

TIA!
  2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

So Ryan has about a 15 months left and we are pretty much dead set on getting out, but we want to thoroughly look at all the options before us.

So I have a bunch of Officer questions...

1. They don't get bonuses, right? What happens if he reenlists, gets a bonus, and then puts in his package and is accepted a year or two later?
    Bonuses depends on what officer program they go through. They don't get reenlistment bonuses since they are no longer enlisted.

2. He already will have his degree (Bachelor's) by the time he would put in his package--what options does he take then to become an Officer?
    Already having a bachelors, he needs to talk to his carrer councilor and figure out what feild he wants to go in and see if his bachelors qualifies for that feild before applying.

3. What are some of the perks? We know of the pay, BAH, and housing.. but what else? We are trying to punch numbers for civilian jobs vs. enlisted jobs vs being an Officer vs. DOD jobs.
    Less manual labor but more administrative responsibility.. that's about it beyond money you already mentioned.

4. How does the rank transition work? He is an FC and his degree will be in Management, so what "job" would/could he do as an Officer?
    With a degree in managment he could so surface warfare, supply, maybe intel...

5. Is OCS the only schooling they go to?
    If he already has a degree, that'd probably be the path he'd want to take. But nothing stops him from applying for a regular officer program that gets you a degree.

6. Do Officers do IA's?
    Yes, they do. (my ex BIL has done 2)

7. It doesn't change anything with the EFM program, does it? Can Riley and I still stay here in SD while he goes to school and/or if he is sent somewhere else? Does EFM help keep him here too? (Category 5)
    No, his rank shouldn't change that at all.

8. Is it true that you can't pick orders anymore, and that you are just "sent" where they need you?
    No

9. Will he have to use his GI Bill for any other schooling he may need (if he needs a Master or other upper level degree?)
    No, unless he wants to be a doctor or a lawyer, he wont need any other schooling for the Navy.

10. Ryan said something about a a bonus each year after being in for three years? Any idea what he was talking about?
    That depends on the feild he's in.

11. If he were accepted, and already had his degree, and is an E-6 right now, what would that "transfer" over to?
    No matter what rank he is when he's accepted, he'll be an Ensign.

I'm sure there will be more...

TIA!
  3. Senior Member
    To add...

Graduate degrees are highly encouraged as you progress in the officer ranks. Masters degrees are not considered mandatory, but could affect promotion down the road. Officers still get TA and the Navy has the Naval Postgraduate School as well as the War College. There are other programs available to Officers for getting graduate degrees as well. All of these are at no cost.
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I thought they also added your enlisted years when you switch over as far as pay goes. I can't remember for sure though

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    I thought they also added your enlisted years when you switch over as far as pay goes. I can't remember for sure though
    Yes they do.. it's O1E-O3E... you get more money than a standard O1-O3..

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    Yes they do.. it's O1E-O3E... you get more money than a standard O1-O3..
    That's right. His time and service will count like it does for enlisted.
  7. Senior Member
    While you're looking at the money angle, remember to figure in that officers don't receive clothing allowances. BAS is also considerably lower than that of enlisted sailors and the mess bill when underway is typically higher than the BAS they receive so it's out of pocket.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks for all the help, Sarah! Brandi helped me a bit too earlier, it all makes a lot more sense now!

So if he ended up doing it and making it, he would transfer as an O1-E with 8 years of service? Or would it be O1-E with how much time he was an Officer?

AmandaR: Does TA cover Masters programs?

I think I should go and sit down with his career counselor and see what he has to say.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I wish I could help. I have a friend whose husband went to OCS, but he only did two years as enlisted.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom View Post
    Thanks for all the help, Sarah! Brandi helped me a bit too earlier, it all makes a lot more sense now!

So if he ended up doing it and making it, he would transfer as an O1-E with 8 years of service? Or would it be O1-E with how much time he was an Officer?

AmandaR: Does TA cover Masters programs?

I think I should go and sit down with his career counselor and see what he has to say.
    His time would completely carry over, it's seamless. So, he would be O1E with 8 years in. They don't stop the clock when they transfer over
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast