Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pros and cons of going active..

1. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries

Pros and cons of going active..

Advertisements
    My and DF are trying to figure out what's the best option right now. Right now, he's Army NG, but he's seriously considering going active duty. We're both really torn on this idea.

If he stays NG then he's home except for the weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. he can finish up his college and try and get a steady, full time job around here.

If he goes active, we'll have to move to wherever the Army sends him, but it would be better pay and benefits.

What are the pros and cons of being active?
    Please give me straight answers. We need information from REAL people who are active now, or have been in the past. Is it worth it?

2. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries

anything ladies?

3. MrsKola
    Well DH is active and I like it. Yeah deployments SUCK, but your DF could still get deployed. The pay sucks. The benefits are pretty good. I feel like being active and living at a military base surrounded by people who you can relate to you is amazing. Also if you are super close to your family I wouldnt recommend it, but neither of us were so that was not a big deal. We've made some great friends who we will never lose contact with and I feel like you cant get this kind of relationship anywhere else under any other circumstances.Personally I LOVE AD.
    I hope this helps some.
  4. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries

5. Darushka
    DH went to bootcamp with the intention of going reserve. The decision to go AD was mainly because A) he went TAD after 9/11 for a year and loved his job and B) job security. And that's a biggie, especially now. Just because you have a college degree does not mean you'll get a job. I have a bachelor's with 10 years of working experience and I've been job hunting for 2 years now. So for us, the job security was a big factor in our decision.
  6. Senior Member
    Personally, I loved being active duty. My family wanted me to go reserve when I joined up, but I wanted to go hard or not go at all, so to speak. I loved my time in. I would STILL be in if my DH wasn't a sea going rate ( I didn't want to fight about orders and did not want to risk us both being away from our kids.) I know I was a different branch, but I hope this helps... It's pretty much just whatever fits you guys and your situation. Good luck!

Thank you, BrentsCrystal! You are amazing!
  7. .
    My husband and I have mad the decision that he'll go active duty after he comes home in Nov. be cause we want kids and you really cant beat the health care of going in the hospital with ur ID card and nothing else, also the pay and the housing and the life of living with other people in the military because civilians just dont get it.

REMEMBER OPSEC AND PERSEC WHEN POSTING!!