Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commmander to Captian

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Commmander to Captian

Advertisements
    My cousin is up for promo (he is a commander) and he started as an E1. He went to college and became an officer. My aunt says that if he makes it to Capitan he will be the first person to get to that rank having been enlisted first. They have gotten to his rank and then retired apparently, and the captains now all apparently went right to OCS. It's COOL, but is it true? In ALL of history no enlisted people ever became captains eventually??

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure my wife has a few people she works with who have done this. Regardless, it is an amazing feat. Congratulations to him and good luck to his making captain (And maybe admiral one day?)
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

There was a man named Adm. Boorda who went seaman to admiral years ago. (unfortunately, he committed suicide in the mid '90s) He was CNO.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brentscrystal View Post
    There was a man named Adm. Boorda who went seaman to admiral years ago. (unfortunately, he committed suicide in the mid '90s) He was CNO.
    ohmigosh, thats awful. Why did he do it?

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    i have no clue if its true, but thats awesome
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissOHara View Post
    ohmigosh, thats awful. Why did he do it?
    Some think it had to do with him wearing a certain ribbon for Vietnam that he didn't earn. It was a scandal but I wouldn't think he would commit suicide because of that so it must have been the straw that broke the camels back.
    That is all I know. He came to visit Great Lakes when I was in bootcamp.
  7. Senior Member

Found this on Wikipedia
    Boorda died 16 May 1996 of an allegedly self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. The autopsy results have never been released to the public. He reportedly also left two suicide notes, neither of which has been released publicly. He was reported to have been despondent over a news media investigation, led by David H. Hackworth, into Valor device enhancements he wore on his Navy Achievement Medal and a Navy Commendation Medal (small brass Vs, signifying valor in combat), which the media report claimed he was not entitled to wear. Former CNO Admiral Elmo Zumwalt, who was Boorda's commander in Vietnam, later indicated that Boorda was authorized to wear them.[5] In 1998, one of Admiral Boorda's sons requested a review of the Admiral's service record. The Board for Correction of Naval Records[1], the ultimate arbiter of whether Boorda was entitled to wear the Combat V on both Medals, determined that he was not.[6]

Boorda also faced unrelenting hostility from a majority of Naval Flag Officers who believed that Boorda had betrayed the Navy by allying himself with Clinton administration demands for reform in the wake of the Tailhook scandal. Aviators in particular were incensed [7] by the treatment of Admiral Stan Arthur, whose nomination for the post of Commander in Chief, Pacific, was withdrawn by Boorda at the behest of a single Senator after questions were raised over mishandling of a separate sexual harassment case.[8]

Boorda was survived by the former Bettie Moran, four children and 11 grandchildren; two sons and one daughter-in-law are naval officers. One grandson is a GM3 in the Coast Guard, another is an Army officer, and another is a Marine Corps officer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_M._Boorda
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    holy crap, he actually looks like my cousin!
    Thats sad, i always hate to hear those stories.

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    I'm pretty sure my wife has a few people she works with who have done this. Regardless, it is an amazing feat. Congratulations to him and good luck to his making captain (And maybe admiral one day?)
    Thankyou!! I'm very excited for him! I hope he makes it.

10. Seabee Wife
    Seabee Wife
    Congradualtions, Captain is impressive no matter how you started out. I only know a couple of Captains personally and to be honest I haven't talked to them about how they started out. I'm getting together with an old friend in a couple of weeks that is a Captain, I'll ask him what he knows about it.
    What a great honor for your family.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast