Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: questions about getting a clearance!

1. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta

Question questions about getting a clearance!

Advertisements
    We are going through the clearance process. all of his paper-work is in. i know they said it will take at least 6 months to go through it, but can anyone tell me:

when will it start? when will they actually start contacting family?
    what does "yankee white" clearance mean? is it top secret type stuff? or something different all together? i know it's for the white-house, but how does it compare to other clearances?
    what can i expect during this process? i've heard it's "stressful" but i'm failing to understand why. we'll answer some questions, we have nothing to hide. so

thanks to anyone who can help!
  2. Senior Member
    Here's what wikipedia says about Yankee White. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_White You may find more info with a Google search.

Once a clearance is classfiied as Top Secret, all the other "levels" are lateral - just clearance for different things.
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    you won't know when they start contacting people. it will just happen.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Banned
    Banned
    The usually start contacting family within a couple of weeks. They'll ask family members for other people that know him, and will contact people he didn't even list.

Yankee White means he works for/around/near the President, and it's a type of background investigation. It's very thorough. They'll look at everything from reputation to traffic tickets. They'll try to identify ANYTHING that is "bribe-worthy" and he'll probably end up taking a polygraph.

You can expect to be asked a few questions and to be asked for some contacts, people that know him. Generally, the person and family being investigated doesn't see it, it's behind the scenes.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It's a simple, but sometimes long process, but my best advice to you is once you fill out ALL that paperwork, SAVE it.

I can't remember how long it took my husband's final clearance to come in, but I do know that he had an interim for a LONG time before it was finished and they did contact several friends, family and neighbors on the base.
  6. Senior Member

Well, the most stressful part is the waiting and not knowing.

Then, one day, you'll be called in to talk with an investigator. Just tell the truth, even if it paints a bad picture. It is far more important to get any and all skeletons out of the closet first, than think you might look good by failing to mention something they have no idea about.

After that, you'll have to wait even longer, then one day, your command will tell you that you have an interim clearance, then an official clearance.

If you have bad credit, tell them how you're able to deal with it with your current budget, and how you're working with your creditors. Besides lying, bad credit is bad, because it means that you might be tempted to take a bribe.
    /* no comment */
  7. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    a polygraph, for real? that's kinda cool

nah, our credit is cool.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    when my dh got a clearance i had to fill out paper work about my life too.. i had to fill out paper work about my ex husband and his ssn all the places i lived before dh and addresses.. it was ALOT.
  9. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Yea, my hubby has a clearance, but after talking to him, I'm not supposed to publish details of it on here, so text me if you have questions
  10. Senior Member
    DH got his clearance, all I can say is don't stress and be honest.