Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dual Military

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Dual Military

Advertisements
    This is something I need to talk to my DF about, I know, but I'd like to get some other folks' opinions, too.

My DF is AF right now; his current term is up in 2010. When we got together, he'd planned on staying in and retiring. Recently he's learned he has a very slim chance of ever retraining away from his current job, and so he's started to seriously consider getting out of the AF after this term. I think if his request for retraining is turned down, he will get out in 2010.

Before I met him, I had been thinking for a long time about joining the National Guard. I talked to a recruiter and found out I would be eligible in the future once a medical issue I have is resolved. Once my DF and I got serious, though, I pretty much decided on taking another direction, because I thought dual-military, especially in two different branches, would be too hard on us.

Now that he has started to talk about leaving the AF, though, I'm starting to think again about the chance to join the Guard.

My question is: has anyone here been in the ARNG? or your spouses? What have your experiences been? What has the impact been on your family?

Thank you in advance
  2. Senior Member
    I have a friend in the ARNG and my DH is USAR. The distinctions between them is very blurry, IMO. The friend in the ARNG has been in for about 4 years and has been deployed multiple times. Supposedly, NG is also under the jurisdiction of the state of enlistment as well as federal. I haven't noticed any difference though between what my friend does and what my DH does.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I haven't heard of retraining, do you mean crosstraining? You can crosstrain from almost any field to be a corpsman or legal aid (I'm pretty sure), if he's interested in those fields. I'm sure there are plenty more options he could take as well if he really did want to stay in. I know some AF/Marine couples and they work things out pretty well. Good Luck with everything though.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    I haven't heard of retraining, do you mean crosstraining? You can crosstrain from almost any field to be a corpsman or legal aid (I'm pretty sure), if he's interested in those fields. I'm sure there are plenty more options he could take as well if he really did want to stay in. I know some AF/Marine couples and they work things out pretty well. Good Luck with everything though.
    Yes, he wants to crosstrain...sorry! I get everything confused. The thing is the field he is currently in is severely undermanned. Apparently it's unlikely they'll approve anyone transferring to another specialty. I guess I really just need to stop putting the cart before the horse and see what turns out with his crosstraining packet.

thank you guys
  5. Senior Member
    I am in the Army National guard and my wife is active Navy. It really doesnt do much as far as impact goes for us. All I do is do the weekend a month and unfortunately this time around the AT (annual training) they SAY is 2 weeks well ours is a month because my batallion is geting deployed to you know where.

I most likely wont be going cause I am having surgery on my shoulder (rotator cuff). Its not all bad at all really. No matter what branch you pick nowadays you WILL get deployed. Be prepared for that. If you have ANY questions at all I can get the answers because I am in the ANG out here in WA and usually it is all seamless other then the dates of drill weekend. Its fun to me but I am also prior Navy so I thought bootcamp was fun, lol.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbaby View Post
    I have a friend in the ARNG and my DH is USAR. The distinctions between them is very blurry, IMO. The friend in the ARNG has been in for about 4 years and has been deployed multiple times. Supposedly, NG is also under the jurisdiction of the state of enlistment as well as federal. I haven't noticed any difference though between what my friend does and what my DH does.
    Quote Originally Posted by USNFFG52 View Post
    I am in the Army National guard and my wife is active Navy. It really doesnt do much as far as impact goes for us. All I do is do the weekend a month and unfortunately this time around the AT (annual training) they SAY is 2 weeks well ours is a month because my batallion is geting deployed to you know where.

I most likely wont be going cause I am having surgery on my shoulder (rotator cuff). Its not all bad at all really. No matter what branch you pick nowadays you WILL get deployed. Be prepared for that. If you have ANY questions at all I can get the answers because I am in the ANG out here in WA and usually it is all seamless other then the dates of drill weekend. Its fun to me but I am also prior Navy so I thought bootcamp was fun, lol.
    Thank you guys so much for your replies! I guess at this point I am just going to wait and see, and maybe talk to DF about it if it looks like a possibility for me.

My big concern is that I don't want to look like I'm trying to "one-up" him by going into the same field as him. This may sound silly, but his service is a part of him and I don't want him to feel like I'm trying to take that away from him...which is why I am hesitant to discuss it with him. He joined the AF right after high school and it's all he has known for 5 years.

My other concern has been the likelihood of him getting stationed somewhere where I wouldn't be able to transfer, but here in Rapid alone we have two Army Guard units (and no AF Guard, go figure!) so it looks like that would be less of an issue than I am making it out to be.

I am definitely prepared for the possibility of deployment, but again, I don't know how DF would take that idea. He has already been once and it was pretty hard.

I don't know, I have plenty of time to think about it...I'll just keep mulling it over, I guess! Thanks for all the replies.