Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Military Ball!!! Questions!

1. Senior Member

My 1st Military Ball!!! Questions!

Advertisements
    DB graduates OCS next month and he just told me there is a formal a couple days before graduation!!! I am BEYOND excited to get all dressed up and be his date. We never got to go to prom together so I have been waiting for something like this for a long time! LOL

So I know the dress code is formal/black tie. Actually I've already got a dress (and I LOVE it!!! I'll post pics when I get it back from being hemmed). I was wondering more about how the evening goes...

Should I brush up on ranks so I can refer to his superiors by the correct names? (Major, Sergeant, etc..) I'm sure DB can help me with that. But what about toasting etiquette? Do you take a sip of your drink after each toast, or do you just raise and lower your glass and take a sip after the last one? (haha, can you tell I'm just a little anal??)

Also, what about drinking? Is it okay to let loose a little at the ball, or should I keep myself in check and limit myself to 1 or 2?

Anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated!!! I'm so excited!!! TIA!
  2. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    that is great sweetie! You'll have a blast. I've been to one and they are a lot of fun. Plus it is just great to be girly and pampered for a night, get all glammed up and such.

As for knowing ranks I knew a little but I really don't think you'll need it unless you know a bunch of people there. I was new to the whole game and so DH (db at the time) just kind of guided me through it. "This is Sgt such and such...." so I wasn't guessing or anything. Wouldn't want to call 'em by the wrong rank!

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I am going to the Corps ball in November... From what I have heard, please do not drink till you get drunk Limit yourself!!!
    Nothing worse than be the one getting that drunk, ya know?
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks Ladies! Yeah, I'm hoping during the whole cocktail hour, meet and greet deal it will mostly be DB doing most of the talking and I'll just stand there and smile, LOL. I'm really excited to meet the guys he's been training with and their SOs! Do they usually have assigned seating there? I'm assuming... I do know a couple girls though, so it would be nice to sit together
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

at MC balls they do have assigned seating...
    idk if it is the same
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    You should brush up on the first season of Army Wives! j/k!!!!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    You should brush up on the first season of Army Wives! j/k!!!!
    Oh I'm in the process of doing that right now!!! Got it covered!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I went to the OCS formal almost 2 years ago. Honestly just follow what everyone else does and you'll be fine. You sit at tables with his classmates and their dates, so really you won't have anyone to impress. You'll go through a recieving line, but its just to shake hands and say hi, nothing major. Ask your hubby to introduce you to people by their ranks, that way you will know right then and there. Don't get too worked up about it, just relax, and have a good time! Oh and as far as toasting, just raise your glass until they are done. They will toast, The Country, The President, etc.. it takes awhile.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Oh and I think we sat with my dh's squad at the tables.
  10. Senior Member
    !!

HOW EXCITING!! you seriously made me sooo excited to go to the first MC ball... the first year he couldnt make it because he was training, the second year he was in iraq and now FINALLYYY this year, i will get o go!!!! well, hopefully. i hope he isnt training again!

I AM SOO EXCITED!!! i have butterflies in my tummy!! i dont know what to expect nor do i have any advice, so i will wait for the responses
    One boy. One girl. 2 hearts. Their world.

Me without you is like a nerd without braces, A shoe without laces, aSentenceWithoutSpaces
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast