Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: AW and SAR

1. teMERarious

AW and SAR

Advertisements
    My DH was hoping to become an AW, but had heard that in order to do SAR training, you had to be "invited" during boot or A school. DH is a strong swimmer, but he's a bit concerned that he would be passed over due to his age, 29.

So, a few questions: SAR is required for AWs, isn't it? Do you have to be asked to go to SAR training and if so, did any of your SOs plan to become an AW but had to change paths due to age or because they weren't asked to the training?

Also, where are/have you been based as an AW?

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    My little brother is an AW but I am not sure about the SAR part and he is currently in Italy right now so I can not text him to ask him.. I will email him though
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I can ask my husband......he flies with AW's all day long.......

We've been in Hawaii the entire time.....almost 12 years total. He's a flight engineer. FE's will be converting to AW's soon and in fact that rate will probably slow down for a little bit because of the conversions.........He flies on the P3 Orion and we love the duty. They are out of Hawaii, Whidbey Island WA, Jax FL, Patuxent River MA, Maine (but not sure how much longer that base is open). I think they have them all over........and know there are more on Helo's.

I know my DH did have to pass an advanced swim test, but I know he didn't have to do SAR school.
  4. teMERarious
    Kelly, that would be awesome, thanks!

Amy, do you know how soon the conversion would take place? The recruiter didn't say anything about AW not being an option, but I would hate for him to have his heart set on it and find out that he can't because of the conversion. Did you guys have a say in where you went, or was HI the only choice for you then? I thought they were in San Diego and Pensacola, too, so I think you're right that they are probably all over. HOw do you guys like living there? Wonder if your DH will have to do SAR for the conversion. Thanks for the info...if your hubby has any other insight it would be awesome!
  5. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    This is coming from a wife who admits to not knowing very much about my DH's career!! LOL!!

My DH went to SAR school "older" (he was 28) and he was the oldest by far. The school is very demanding but he enjoyed it. He ended up dropping the school (his choice, I swear LOL!) but he was an AW before and stayed an AW afterwards. He just went to a squadron. They have to go to SERE school before becoming an AW but I'm not sure about SAR.

We've been NAS JAX, NAS Brunswick (which is closing soon and most of those planes are going to Jax), NAS Sigonella and Norfolk. Whidbey Island and Kaneohe Bay are also big P-3 bases. You sorta bounce around those bases but IMHO they are all nice places. They sure as heck beat being on a ship!!! Aircrew life is pretty good, DH misses it now!

If you want, I can have my DH email w/your DH. He was AW and recently converted to NC, so he might be able to help him w/any questions from that end as well.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Dh works with AW's and SAR in Guam. Let me see if he knows anything and I will get back to you!
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Dh said that he didn't think that you had to be asked to be a SAR, but that he wasn't completely sure. Also he said that if he couldn't do that, then he could put in a package for SEALS, or even diver. He said that almost all specialty rates are in need of people. Also that if he was an AW he could be either SAR or aircrew.