This is not in effect yet...according to dh it is still in the works but I was given permission to share. When this does all take effect it looks like it will provide some great things for the Navy family's and for other branches as well

SUBJECT: TASK FORCE LIFE/WORK (TFLW) UPDATE

RMKS/1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS NAVADMIN IS TO CLOSE OUT THE ASSESSMENTPHASE OF TFLW AND MAP OUT THE WAY AHEAD FOR CONTINUING ACTION. WHEN WESTOOD UP TASK FORCE LIFE/WORK (TFLW) IN JUNE, I PROMISED TO KEEP YOU UPDATED ON THIS TEAM'S IMPORTANT WORK. CNO CHALLENGED TFLW TO EXAMINETHE POLICIES, PROGRAMS, AND CHANGES THAT HOLD REAL POTENTIAL TO ENHANCEOUR SAILOR'S LIFE/WORK BALANCE. OUR OBJECTIVES WERE TO SOLICIT FLEETFEEDBACK FOR IDEAS AND RECOMMENDATIONS, EXAMINE INITIATIVES WE COULDINFLUENCE THROUGH POLICY CHANGE, AND IDENTIFY EFFORTS THAT REQUIREDOD/CONGRESSIONAL APPROVAL FOR ENGAGEMENT.

2. BEFORE SUMMARIZING TFLW PROGRESS, I WANT TO SET THE CORRECT FRAME OF REFERENCE WHEN DISCUSSING TFLW INITIATIVES: I FULLY REALIZE MANY OFTHESE LIFE/WORK BALANCE ENHANCEMENTS MAY NOT DIRECTLY APPLY TO THEOPERATIONAL FLEET. LIFE ON THE TIP OF THE SPEAR IS DEMANDING, AND IDEASSUCH AS TELECOMMUTING OR MORE FLEXIBLE WORK SCHEDULES MAY NOT BEPOSSIBLE FOR CERTAIN UNITS. THERE ARE, HOWEVER, MANY WAYS COMMANDS CANSUPPORT LIFE/WORK BALANCE FOR SAILORS WHILE WORKING WITHIN THEIROPERATIONAL CONFINES. IF YOUR COMMAND HAS INSTITUTED INNOVATIVE QOLPROGRAMS THAT WORK WITHIN YOUR DEMANDING OPERATIONAL SCHEDULE, WE WANTTO HEAR FROM YOU. TAKE A MOMENT TO BRAG AND SEND YOUR INITIATIVES TO MYPOC?S BELOW.

3. IN PHASE I OF ASSESSMENT/DISCOVERY, YOUR SUPPORT OF TFLW ROADSHOWS ENABLED US TO REACH OVER 11,000 SAILORS IN SAN DIEGO, JACKSONVILLE/KINGS BAY, NORFOLK, HAWAII, PACNORWEST, AND FDNF. TOGETHER WITH FEEDBACK FROM OUR TFLW ONLINE COMMUNITY (THE FIRST EVER NAVY-SPONSOREDBLOG), MY TEAM PROCESSED OVER 3,500 COMMENTS RELATING TO LIFE/WORKBALANCE. THIS FEEDBACK WAS INSIGHTFUL AND ON TARGET, PROVIDING ME MANYSUBSTANTIVE IDEAS TO FURTHER INVESTIGATE AND PUSH TOWARDSIMPLEMENTATION.

4. IN PHASE II, CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT AND LEADERSHIP AWARENESS, WECATEGORIZED FEEDBACK INTO FOUR DISTINCT AREAS. QUALITY OF WORK (QOW)(40 PERCENT), QUALITY OF LIFE (QOL) (30 PERCENT), FINANCIAL (20PERCENT), AND EDUCATION (10 PERCENT). WITHIN QOW, OPTEMPO ANDTRAINING/ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS WERE CONSISTENTLY RANKED AS TOPPRIORITIES, FOLLOWED CLOSELY BY IA ASSIGNMENT ISSUES AMONG OUR JUNIOROFFICERS. IN QOL, FEEDBACK CONCENTRATED ON GEOGRAPHIC STABILITY,PATERNITY LEAVE, THE NEED FOR MORE FLEXIBLE CHILDCARE AND ALTERNATIVEWORK OPTIONS. TUITION ASSISTANCE AND MONTGOMERY GI BILL TRANSFERABILITYDOMINATED THE EDUCATION FIELD (TAKEN SINGULARLY, MGIB TRANSFERABILITYWAS ONE OF THE TOP ISSUES OVERALL). LASTLY, FEEDBACK IN THE FINANCIALCATEGORY FOCUSED ON PAY, BONUSES, AND POSSIBLE THRIFT SAVINGS PLAN (TSP)ENHANCEMENTS.

5. IN TFLW PHASE III, CONTINUING ACTION, WE ARE WELL ON OUR WAY TO ADDRESSING MANY OF THE ISSUES ABOVE. LAST JUNE, I SIGNED THE NEW PREGNANCY AND PARENTHOOD INSTRUCTION, AUTHORIZING THREE WEEKS OFADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE FOR ADOPTIVE PARENTS AND EXTENDED OPERATIONAL DEFERMENT FOR NEW MOTHERS FROM 4 TO 12. WE ARE ALSO WORKING WITH DOD/CONGRESSIONAL LEADERSHIP TO AUTHORIZE PATERNITY LEAVE, WHICH WOULD GRANT THREE WEEKS OF ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE TO NATURAL FATHERS, AND ARE WORKING WITH CNIC TO DEVELOP MORE FLEXIBLE CHILDCARE OPTIONS TO SUPPORT MILITARY WORKDAY REALITIES.

6. AFTER A SUCCESSFUL PILOT PROGRAM, WE EXPANDED THE OPNAV N1TELECOMMUTING PROGRAM TO MY ENTIRE MPTE STAFF BOTH IN WASHINGTON AND MILLINGTON, ALLOWING MEMBERS TO TELECOMMUTE FROM HOME UP TO TWO TIMES A WEEK WHILE REMAINING FULLY CONNECTED TO THE WORKPLACE. THE JAG COMMUNITY HAS ALSO JOINED THIS EFFORT AND WE PLAN ON AUTHORIZING A TELECOMMUTING OPNAVINST FOR FLEET IMPLEMENTATION THIS SUMMER.

7. OUR CAREER INTERMISSION PILOT PROGRAM (AKA ?OFF-ON RAMP?) HAS RECENTLY BEEN APPROVED BY OMB FOR CONGRESSIONAL REVIEW THIS FALL. THIS PILOT WILL ALLOW BOTH OFFICERS AND ENLISTED TO "OFF-RAMP" FROM ACTO RC FOR UP TO THREE YEARS WHILE MAINTAINING HEALTH CARE BENEFITS, AMONTHLY STIPEND, AND A PCS MOVE TO A CONUS LOCATION OF THEIR CHOICE AND BACK AT THE END OF THE OFF-RAMP. THIS PROGRAM HAS THE FULL SUPPORT OF DOD, AND WILL SERVE AS A DEMONSTRATION PROJECT FOR ALL SERVICES.

8. BOTH EXPANDED FUNDING FOR SPOUSE EMPLOYMENT PROGRAMS AND MGIB TRANSFERABILITY WERE RECOGNIZED RECENTLY BY DOD AND THE WHITE HOUSE DURING THE STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS. OUR TFLW FEEDBACK AND RESEARCH ALSO CONTRIBUTED TO THE RECENT BILL SUBMITTED IN THE SENATE ON MGIB TRANSFERABILITY WHICH ALREADY HAS MORE THAN 22 BI-PARTISAN SIGNATURES AND HAS GAINED TREMENDOUS MOMENTUM ON THE HILL.

9. OTHER PHASE III INITIATIVES WILL FOCUS ON REESTABLISHING THE ENLISTED EDUCATION ADVANCEMENT PROGRAM (EEAP), CREATING VIRTUAL COMMANDS TO IMPROVE GEOGRAPHIC STABILITY, SOCIAL ENTERPRISE FELLOWSHIPS, APART-TIME PAY FOR PART-TIME WORK PILOT PROGRAM, AND LEADERSHIP RECOGNITION PROGRAMS FOR THOSE COMMANDING OFFICERS DEMONSTRATING OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP IN THE FIELD OF LIFE/WORK INTEGRATION THROUGH OURCNO'S ?TOP 50? AWARD EFFORT.

10. WHILE THESE AND OTHER TFLW EFFORTS WILL SIGNIFICANTLY CONTRIBUTE TO IMPROVING THE LIFE/WORK BALANCE OF OUR SAILORS, WE FULLY RECOGNIZE THAT OPERATIONAL MISSION REQUIREMENTS PLACED ON SAILORS MUST BE MET. LET MEBE VERY CLEAR - IT IS MY FUNDAMENTAL BELIEF THAT WE WILL HAVE TO ADAPT HOW WE DO BUSINESS WITH OUR PEOPLE TO REACH AND KEEP THE NEXT GENERATIONOF SAILORS. THE CHANGING NATIONAL DEMOGRAPHICS AND GENERATIONALDIFFERENCES WE SEE REFLECTED IN OUR NAVY DEMAND THESE CHANGES. FOR OUR NAVY TO COMPETE AND WIN THE BATTLE FOR TALENT, WE MUST POSITION OURSELVES TO BE A ?TOP 50? EMPLOYER OF CHOICE.

11. REMEMBER, WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR THE EASY BUTTON, BUT THE BETTER BUTTON; WE?RE MAKING PROGRESS BUT YOUR THOUGHTS, OPINIONS, AND VISION ARE ESSENTIAL TO KEEPING THIS INITIATIVE ON TRACK. THE TFLW ROADSH OWEVENTS REVEALED STORIES OF CREATIVE LIFE/WORK BALANCE PRACTICES ALREADYIN PLACE AT MANY INDIVIDUAL COMMANDS. THESE LEADERSHIP INITIATIVES ARETHE CATALYST FOR MORE DRAMATIC CHANGE IN THE FUTURE.