Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy Seals

1. Mac'sSunshine

Navy Seals

Advertisements
    Is anyones SO a Seal? Dh has decided that he wants to go for it! He has been on a sub for 8 years. Can you tell me anything about it. What to expect? Everything. I would great appreciate all advice and info!! Thanks!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't really know anything about the Seals except that my friend Mike is joining them this summer. He's apparently going to Chicago and then Coronado for training.

I know he's been training a lot for it and has been going to special camps to prepare him for it. I can ask him for you later on today.
  3. Mac'sSunshine
    Thanks!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    My DB was going to do SEALs up until about 2 months ago...I have done alot of research and read alot of books...I know that the training is LONG and extremely tough...he needs to be 100% committed!
  5. Mac'sSunshine
    He is definetly commited!! He has been doing some reading etc on it. I was just wondering what the time commitment, where he would go etc.
  6. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    DH is putting in a package for SEAL/s in October. He's been training for about 3 years now. He was going to go right after boot, but they stopped him in medical screen for something they didn't understand. Old gymnastics scar tissue. So he had to do 2 years in a command and now he can put in for a spec ops package. It's been almost 3 years though instead of just 2 so he's been working for this for a WHILE!

Not easy, lots of training. Can be 13 months to 2 years of training depending on him. And from what I've learned about it there is a period of time DURING training that he will have NO CONTACT with the outside world for at LEAST 3 months.

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  7. Mac'sSunshine
    Well DH talked to his chief today and is going to go for it!! I am so scared! What is going to happen us? We are set to move to boat duty in July and he said that he could possibly go to training before that? Were will our children and I go? Can our new marriage survive this? I am trying to not let this get me down until we know something for sure. This seems so intense from what I have read.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I always say this... lol but the reason is because there is substantial amounts of information there by team guys etc. NavySEALs.com I can tell you that it takes at least 110% commitment from him and 110% of support from you.The training is very long very excruciating.. now days you go to Great Lakes for pre-BUD/s training, and from what we have seen so far it is working.. getting more guys fit for the real deal. BUD/s is 6 months long, then there comes SQT and other training. the whole thing takes a year thats if you aren't medically rolled back and have no problems. To get ready for the teams takes more than just reading a book, so if he is really serious he needs to start hitting the pool, running and doing mass amounts of push ups, pull ups, flutter kicks. Basically some rigorous PT 7days a week. Most of all he needs your support. He should check and see who the motivator is for his area, and that will help getting him in order. It takes ALOT to even get to go to BUD/s you have to pass the sreening test, your medical has to be good to go and vision has to be up to par. All this info you can find on navyseals just go there and browse the forums. As far as the package goes.. I mean its alot of paperwork that has to go up his chain of command, and then to his detailer and then to the SEAL detailer to cut him orders there. Also I dont know what rank your dh is but no first classes are accepted for it anymore either... the only way that is possible is if hes already got his orders before the results come out. If hes lucky enough to even get to go to BUD/s and happens to graduate he will commit 5 years to the teams on the coast of his choice. Their deployment rotation is that with the rest of the navy.. gone for 6 and then home for an extended amount of time... they are just gone soooo much because even when they are home they are constantly gone for training. A week here, a month or two there, home a few weeks or a few days, gone again for another 3 weeks.. then deploys. Its never ending. This also goes for SWCC too. I know some girls come on here are interested in SWCC. That website also has the best info for SWCC you can find online. SWCC is no easier than SEALs by no means. Anyway I really hope this helps you and anybody else who wants to know. If you have anymore questions shoot me a message.

ps. the next class is in November so he wont be there in july. 272 started indoc yesterday. Also the longest he can stay at GL is 8 weeks.
    Last edited by G.R.I.T.S.; 04-22-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added something else.
  9. Mac'sSunshine
    Thanks so much for the great info!! I have read the site you talked about! DH has already been doing the intense PT etc. Why aren't they accepting 1st class though? DH is 1st class so does that mean he isn't going to get to do this? I know I have more questions, but its to early to think.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Because as first class in specwar you are expected to be a leader, and how can you be an effective leader fresh out of class. That is basically why, so unless you have someone who can really pull some serious ropes for you I'd say its not going to happen. Im sorry I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear. He can just keep trying and pushing forward if he would like but its better to find out before you have everything invested into it. Like I said its something to be proud of to even get to go out there, because there are soooo many little things that can keep you from not going its not funny.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast