Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: going to school while in the military

1. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine

going to school while in the military

Advertisements
    So does anyone know about going to school while in the military? Dh is wanting to get his degree but he does not know if he has to get a degree in something that has to do with ABH (his rate) or if he can go for something that has to do with another rate.

Does this make sense? Any advice would be helpful!
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  2. Senior Member
    I don't know. my DF is in the National Guard so he's going to school, but his degree is entirely unrelated to his MOS in the army. I'm not sure if it would relate for active navy or not though.
  3. Senior Member
    When he applies for tuition assistance, the program/school has to be accredited, but it doesn't necessarily have to apply to his rating. If he is getting the degree for an officer program, there are restrictions there, and I would recommend that he talk to the Navy College Office on the base for more info.
    Last edited by RobinTellez; 04-08-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Thanks Brentscrystal! Your siggies are amazing!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    The Navy College office will sit down with him and figure out what credits can be applied from his rate training and so forth and help him go from there. They will also help him l figure out if he can CLEP tests and be much closer to an Associates degree. They can recommend colleges that will work with him there at the base and what degrees they have that he might be interested in. I highly recommend to any enlisted person out there to get thier degree. They were going to require all have at minimum an Associates Degree to make Sr. Chief, but the Master Chief of the Navy recinded that requirement, but it may be reinstated eventually.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    John is in school now. His rate is AT (aviation tech) and his degree will be in Human Resources. Nowhere close to the same thing. As long as he stays within the credits allowed to him he doesn't pay anything.

John has been taking classes on base through SIU. He finished up the last bunch this past December so now he just needs a few more at CLC and he'll be done. The college office on base is a great help. John goes in every few months to sit down and talk with them just to go over where he stands with his degree and everything. They are a really big help.
  6. Mommy of two sweet girls!
    Mommy of two sweet girls!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    John is in school now. His rate is AT (aviation tech) and his degree will be in Human Resources. Nowhere close to the same thing. As long as he stays within the credits allowed to him he doesn't pay anything.

John has been taking classes on base through SIU. He finished up the last bunch this past December so now he just needs a few more at CLC and he'll be done. The college office on base is a great help. John goes in every few months to sit down and talk with them just to go over where he stands with his degree and everything. They are a really big help.
    My husband is also going through SIU on the base. He's taking Electronic Systems Tech though. He'll be done in Aug, but still have to take his CLEPs then he'll have his BA. I am so proud of him.

ETA- My husband max out his TA each semester and at the end of each semester he has to dip into his GI bill to pay for the extra cost.
    Gina~

My Bella!