Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Need advice STA-21

1. Banned
    Banned
    Everett, WA Like New Jersey, only no cool mobsters or sunshine!

Need advice STA-21

Advertisements
    OK DH wants to apply for STA-21. I am really proud of him for wanting to do it. The problem is this;

There is not a snowballs chance in hell he will make it. He already has his hopes set really high. He's 26, so this is his last chance to do it, b/c he'd have to graduate by the time he was 31.

I really don't want to go through all of this just to get denied. I know that's what's gonna happen. I know PERFECT sailors with good jr. college grades who get passed up 2-3 times.

My DH is a REALLY good sailor on paper and in real life, and his captain loves him, but his grades SUCK. They are from years ago and he has grown up since then. (about everything except money, see venting)

Did anyone else go through this? How did you help DH from counting his chickens before they hatched?
  2. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    We were pretty sure dh wouldn't get accepted the first time around - and the only program open to him due to age and other restrictions is CEC. We went into it knowing the chances were slim, so we tried to keep focused on what a good experience the whole application process is from start to finish, so that even if he didn't get accepted, we believed he benefited anyway.

And now that the first application is over, and he didn't get accepted, he can see how much he learned from doing it though, and doesn't regret it a bit.
  3. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Also, you never know what they are looking for that year, so who knows? Maybe he will have that something special they are focusing on this time.

Good luck!
  4. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    How bad are his grades and are those college grades or high school?! How recently were those grades?!

My husband is currently in the STA-21 program. He'll be home in the next 30 mins to answer your questions. Feel free to PM me and I'll forward whatever questions you need answered.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Tell him to at least apply to PIMA community college in Arizona they will take anyone adn he can transfer his grades to Uof A the navy accepts this for people w/ bad grades
    Sarah

.... Um... nothing to see here
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    He can also take classes at a community college to raise his grade point average
    Sarah

.... Um... nothing to see here