Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: jobs....

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

jobs....

Advertisements
    okay so i was thinking here is one great place that we could put our tips and tricks for getting through our SOs training, and the best and worst that we have found of our SOs job.

for example: my hubby is a nuke (em) and when he was in school i found the best thing to do was stay as busy as possible and throw myself into something because he was in school so long during the day that i had to stay busy and not wonder when he would get home. when he was in prototype i had to keep my schedule a tad bit more open since he was on shift work but once i heard that call from him i was fine and could go about my day.

the best: he's on a sub (boomer) so he is not gone to long

the worst: he hates his job.
  2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I stay as busy as possible. Not hard to do with a kiddo. I take up hobbies and spend time with friends/family as much as possible too. My husband is an EN, and that means LONG hours, when in port on top of the underway schedules.

the best part of his job: he's currently on shore duty, so he's home.

the worst: no sea pay.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Funny you posted this. My husband and I just moved from TX away from our kids and all of our family. We are now in Great Lakes, IL and he is in RDC school which will be a job that keeps him away from home ALOT. Back in TX before we got married, I had my kids in my house (son almost 21 stayed in TX to go to college and is with my parents; 13yr old daughter wanted to live with her dad in Arlington, TX) and I kept busy between them and working as a RN. Even when my husband was on deployment, I still kept busy. But now I'm here...no kids to keep me busy and currently not working. The plan was to take some time off of work but I'm going CRAZY! So...I have a interview on Tuesday!

The best part of his job...he'll only be 0.3 miles away from home when he's at work and no more deployments.

The worst part of his job...he'll soon be working 18hr days, 7 days a week once he gets his red rope and his schooling right now treats him like he's back in boot camp when he's a chief and has been in the navy for 22 years.

Me (Nurse Friday) & My Hubby (Chief Friday)

4. Senior Member
    Worst: DF gets no support from his chain of command and therefore hates his job. He is 1500 miles away from me and soon will be 1800 miles away and is constantly out to sea and deployed.

Best: We have learned to love each other and cherish our time together. I can't wait until 2011 when he is mine and I don't have to only see him 4 times a year anymore!

*Thank you Valarie!!*

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wisend85 View Post
    Worst: DF gets no support from his chain of command and therefore hates his job. He is 1500 miles away from me and soon will be 1800 miles away and is constantly out to sea and deployed.

Best: We have learned to love each other and cherish our time together. I can't wait until 2011 when he is mine and I don't have to only see him 4 times a year anymore!
    what's his job
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    what's his job
    Sorry, I am an idiot today.

He tells everyone he is a bitch. He maintains the ships propullsionary (spelling?) engines, generators, and other equipment.

*Thank you Valarie!!*

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Hmm...well hubby has had really good things in each of his jobs and some not so great things. At this command, the good is he came in and was immediately given the spot as division chief and after proving himself on cruise is being made QA Supervisor and being groomed for an even bigger position for the next cruise - all of this is good for advancement to Sr Chief and beyond that, great for his resume. The bad - as division chief, they get all the crap from the Div O and so forth...what do they say -S%*t rolls down hill? He keeps a good perspective though. Also the bad, he has to work much longer hours. His view is that as Div Chief or QA Sup he should be there to maintain communication between all of his sailors, so he works day shift, but also sticks around for the first hr or two of night shift.